• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Shaft choices

The_Rock

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at upgrading the shafts in my D30 and it looks as if I have three basic choices. OEM inners and outers with 297 full circle clips, CrMo innners with OEM outer or CrMo inners and outers. I'm running 32s and going to 33s. Right now I have a Truetrac with 4:10 but I would like what ever I do to hold up to a front locker and 4:56s. I don't want to spend allot of money that is not needed and I'll have my stock 297 shafts as spares. Is there any advantage to CrMo inners with OEM stength outers?

The yokes normally give up before the 760s. So I would either go all chrmo or all oem. I run all oem on 35s with an auto. I certainly don't feel its and ideal setup but it seems to be living. Jessie breaks oem pieces pretty regularly on 33s an atlas and a stick.

also depends on terrain. Jes wheels the Hammers and 'Con, etc. He must wheel the hardest of anyone on 33s. And that's a good point on the auto, that saves a lot of shock loading on the axles.

throw some 760x joints in, tack weld them, and if you break those start looking at a D44 or hybrid 9" with 60 ends. I (and most others) consider it a waste to dumb a grand into shafts and joints on a D30.

The only advantage of a D44 over a D30 is the ability to go to 5.38 gears in an HP D44 and 5.89 in LP D44.

lockout hubs and 30 spline shafts.

consider that a D44 uses the same Ujoint as a D30. 5-297X which is upgradable in both to a 5-760X. and as it was pointed out, the weekness of a D30 shaft is the yoke ears. THe D30 provides lower unsprung weight, better ground clearance and pleanty of other upgradable options like.
lockout hubs, even though they are pretty pricy. CrMo shafts which are approx 39% stronger than OEM steel, also 30 spline lockers and shafts are now available for the D30.
and I also agree that dumping $1000 into a set of front shafts is a waste, your getting ripped off...

Back