• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ 2WD to 4WD Conversion

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Found a 90 MJ w/137K miles in good shape for not a lot of cash, before I purchase need some advice.

It looks to me this would be easy to slam an axle and transfer case into and rig the shift linkage.

Is it as easy as it looks? or would I be playing with myself.

Thanks,
Tom

Should be as easy as it looks. I just got a 2wd MJ last week, and plan to do the same thing. It's an '89, 4.0, auto, SB, with 117k and a fresh motor. Body and interior are straight, and everything (including the A/C) works.

Just what I need...........another project.:eek: :D

Actually Tom, that's a nice way to start cause you arn't paying for a D30 and NP231 that you'd swap out later for an Atlas and a D44. :D

Jes

BTW, I do have a SYE'd NP231 layin' around. ;)

Need to either swap the trans for a 4WD one, or remove the 2WD extension housing and swap the output shaft w/ one from a 4WD. (It's shorter) If you get a disco D30, you have to rig up the vaccuum to engage it, or lock it permanently, or swap the disco shaft for a non, and add an inner seal.
I'm in the early stages of the same project w/ my '87 MJ, but I plan on doing it over the summer along with a big list of other things to it. I should have it back on the road by winter.
HTH,
Jeff

The previous responses seem to have covered about everything. The only other thing you will need is a longer speedometer cable to reach back to the transfer case. I went with the transmission swap because I got a good deal on an AW4/231 combo and it saved me from doing the output shaft. If you can change a transmission and do a lift then you can complete this conversion.

Hey tlman,
You're not that far away from me. In fact, I'm picking up some spare parts in your area next weekend from a friend that used to own an XJ. Any good parts sources up there? The folks down here at Chesterfield and Circle Auto are about ready to give me a timecard for how often they see me.
Send me and e-mail if you want.
Thanks,
Jeff

Don't forget the t-case shift linkage bracket that bolts to the underside of the body! Very, very important! Also, you can either hunt down an MJ 4wd rear driveshaft, or have you 2wd one shortened. Just about any 87 and later MJ/XJ front D-shaft will work.
I just finished my truck's 4wd conversion using TJ and 78 Bronco parts. Swapping in stock stuff is bolt-in and relatively easy, but if you're thinking about upgrades, now's the best time. :)
Jeep on!
--Pete

Before...
22369706.jpg

After...
22091467.jpg

I'm still in the process of putting her back together, but she's lookin' good so far! :D

tlman said:
The previous responses seem to have covered about everything. The only other thing you will need is a longer speedometer cable to reach back to the transfer case. I went with the transmission swap because I got a good deal on an AW4/231 combo and it saved me from doing the output shaft. If you can change a transmission and do a lift then you can complete this conversion.

How is my former front axle? I miss visiting w/ it. :D

tlman said:
Deano,

It's been a long time man. We should plan another get together sometime so you can visit the displaced parts. The axle's still rolling along. It really quieted down after I replaced the hubs. I've probably put another 35,000 miles on it since it went in.

Stafford isn't that far away. I'll have to host a cookout up here on the farm for all the local guys. (anyone that wants to travel as well.) Eagle is due for a road trip down when he gets the time.

I converted over to 4wd. PM me if you have any questions.

Back