• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

360 swap vs lower gears

Which is the more logical swap for a 94 2.5L XJ ?

• swap in a 360 ?

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • change gear ratios from 4.10 to 4.88 ?

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
360 is not big enough.

Go big block or go home.

CRASH

The gears would be an easier swap. I'm sure a 360 engine would be rather hard. You would need a new trans, I think. New wires and random odds and ends. If its a DD, you probable can't put it on jack stands for a month or more. If it were me I would put in the gears and then if that wasn't enough I'd swap in a 4.0.

I think I have decided to swap in the full width D44s, add 5.38s. And in the meanwhile, I am going to rebuild the 360, get it all cherry, and then when the 2.5L hits its last trail, I will swap in the refreshened 360.

I hate taking out something that still works.

So really, this thread was just a tease.......you had no intention of following the advice of the poll results, did you?

;)

CRASH

CRASH said:
So really, this thread was just a tease.......you had no intention of following the advice of the poll results, did you?

;)

CRASH

Honestly, Ive got the truck stripped all but the rear axle, the 360, th400, quadra-crap, and front d44 all setting in the garage floor, and I didnt have a clue wether to go thru with the whole swap or do it in stages....I think stages would be better. Starting with the axle/gear swap.

Stick said:
I think I have decided to swap in the full width D44s, add 5.38s. And in the meanwhile, I am going to rebuild the 360, get it all cherry, and then when the 2.5L hits its last trail, I will swap in the refreshened 360.

I hate taking out something that still works.

Have you thought of going Chevy 350? I looked at both before I did my swap and found that parts to do the swap to a 350 were much more available, fit better, and required minimal custom work. Plus if you want to squizze more horses out down the road there are more mods for the 350 than any other engine out there. Anyway, in case you're interested 89XJ, Chevy 350, AX15, NP231, D30 front, D44 rear.

Back