• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rancho real leaf... broken? bent?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I've got a '92 XJ. I swapped out the factory rear leafs and installed a pair of Ranchos a couple of years back. Recently I carried a heavy load off pavement. Now one leaf has about 1" less distance from the U-bolts to the chassis than the other. The vehicle leans on level ground. Something is wrong with the spring.

Can leaf springs bend permanently and loose some of their spring? I suspect that an internal leaf is broken but can't see any cracks on the edge. Do internal leafs break? Has anyone gotten a warranty exchange on a Rancho?

Thanks!

I'm still new to this, but Rancho isnt the greatest equipment out there.

Yes, leaf springs can wear out and they can fail. The main leaf (one on top) can suffer from negative arch and the end with the shackle will dip down rather than lift up.

I dont know about internal leafs breaking but I doubt that's the problem. I would also look into popping out your shocks, looking at your shackles, looking at your body at all the points where suspension components bolt to it for possible damage. More than likely it's just a problem with your leafs, and I would consider looking for another pair, buy a different company.

Again, I'm still green at this, so get some more advice too..

Back