• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternators can't swim??

MassbayXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. i recently began taking my stock-ish 94 cherokee into some local mud pits and it performs well in all areas except one: the alternator always craps out. If i open the hood after I go through about 2 feet of water at 10 mph or so everything is wet so a diag is difficult. volts drop to 10.5 to 12 volts(optima voltage??) but no idiot light !! . i know electical components dislike water but I hate an electical problem keeping me from having fun. After I stop driving and shut it off, the alternator is smoking hot. After it cools down, I get my 14.5 volts back and drive normal. When i replaced the belt, i thought it was a little difficult to turn the alternator pulley. Thanks in advance. - Mark

Yes, alternators can't swim...

I've replaced two doing the same thing... the problem is not so much the water, it's the mud... when the mud gets in there it creates too much resistance and the alternator heats up trying to fight against all the grit and stuff melts inside. I would suggest building some kind of shield for it to at least keep some mud out... I found that I don't even have to submerge it to get enough stuff in there to cause problems.

Next time it happens, tap the back of the alt with a hammer and the mud will come flying out, restoring full voltage. Watch you eyes, fingers, etc.

Rev

Thanks guys. I'm going to ask THE tech at the local Jeep dealership if there is a way to mount it higher, like a tj i believe. I'll let you know.

Back