• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ripped off the fender flares for kicks and giggles now what...???

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
I ripped off my fender flares for something to do today, and was lookin for some ideas as to what to do with the holes. I like the way it looks without flares but dont like the lok of where they used to be (chipped, etc.). Any ideas. I dont want to cut, bend or flatten so don't suggest that (in case I want to reinstall the flares), I was thinkin maybe coating the area where they were with rhino-lining. Thoughts?

Just cut it off! But for the rear you'll have to fold them over do to the pinch seam welds...

Definatly cut them... I am in the same situation, and have put some pretty sweet sipes in my 33" XT's....I will probably cut the fenders and then reinstall the flares...

Late

Renegade Jpr said:
Just cut it off! But for the rear you'll have to fold them over do to the pinch seam welds...
I took off my rear flares, and was planing on folding to the pinch seam. But when I looked, there was no simple way to bolt the flares back on. Would someone show me a pic of how they reatatched the flare. Sorry about the hijack. Back to you. I also like the look of no flares but the cops are with another opinion.

I've had my fender flairs off for awhile now. I can live with the holes. I want to trim them, but I'll wait till I get my lift. :guitar:

I just moved the rear flares up, removed the interior piece also, and bolted them. I didn't need 2 people though, because I used the stock metal inserts, drilled a couple of new holes to hold the chopped flares snug, welded in all new bolts, shoved it in from the outside, and then put all the nuts on from the inside.

Here's how I trimmed my stock flares, trimed and folded the rear fenders, and put it all back together:

How it's done (tabs are for flare mounting):
rearfendertrim.jpg

What it looks like without flares:
trimmedrear.jpg

Stock flares vs. my Trimmed Flares:
stockvstrimmed.jpg

All I did was trim up and mount the trimmed flares to it...I don't have any good pictures of the rear, but here is what the front looks like (In this picture the fender is not trimmed)
cutflareside.jpg

Sequoia

sequoia, how did you make the bends look so clean? I'm thinking you could just leave the flares off. Nice work!

They're not as clean as you might think :) All I did was use a hammer to bend it back, there's a lot of hammer marks on the inside:

rearlipfront.jpg

When you bend it in you will crack the paint (as you can see), I just sanded the edges a bit and sprayed some black primer in. If you wanted to run flareless you could do the same thing I did to the rear without leaving the tabs for the flares intact, sand it, and carefully mask and either color match or spray another color (such as black primer :)) to the flaked off area.

Sequoia

seqouia, first of all the idea of a revenge plot was great and im considerein using it :greensmok

second of all, what are thoughts on using weatherstripping instead of primer. I am lookin into the same idea as you but doin the relief cuts and bending front and the rear. is this idea okay to use in the front as well? also would weatherstripping be a good idea?

12monkeys said:
Definatly cut them... I am in the same situation, and have put some pretty sweet sipes in my 33" XT's....I will probably cut the fenders and then reinstall the flares...

Late

When I cut my fenders I cut them far enough where they didn't slcie, but when I but on bigger tires (36's up form 33's) I will run a strip of door liner alnog the edge. Simple, sicky, and it works.

As for weatherstripping...I'm not quite sure I follow.. I've heard of people using that plastic lawn edging stuff..personally I wouldn't care for the look of that though.

For the front you're better off just hacking the fender off, the reason I didn't do that yet is because I want to use a saw more powerful than my Dremil (those suckers get hot after awhile, already burned one out!). The reason you fold the rear, instead of cutting, is becuase there is a weld in there, the bottom portion of the unibody and the sides join there. You fold it back so as not to disturb those welds (spot welds). In the front there is a plastic fender liner and just the fender itself, you can safely cut it.

When I did mine up front I cut the flares at the line where it bends (as you can see in the stock vs. not stock flares) then trimmed the front inner fender (plastic) to that same line. For the rear I just removed the plastic inner flare (all it does is keep stuff out of the flare, a non-issue with the new streamline shape :)).

Yea...in the front where there is that lip...I was considering drilling out some holes closer to the wheel tub and throwing in some rivets....then cut the excess off....that way the welds shouldn't pop lose....sounds good in theory.... :looser:

if you ever want to run 35's with 8" or less, youre gonna have to cut into the pinch seam. i tried the whole folding over thing and ruined two new bfg's cause of it. the corners along the bottom still ripped em apart

How much bumpstop you runnin? Seems like you can control that if you limit your uptravel. Yes? No?.......

Back