• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Favorite Spring Rate?

MDMIKE

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy owns an offroad shop and is considering manufacturing his own coil springs. What are some favorite spring rates for 3'', 5" and 7" coils on cherokees. I read the whole thread on the RE 7.5" coil spring rates and saw what some of you wanted some special rates. He tested a set of stock 6 cyl springs and found about a 125 lb/in. I know people like different rates for different setups so we will assume an added 125 lbs on the front of the cherokee for average bumper winch combos. I dont think a long arm setup would institute a different rate so lets not get into the long vs short arm debate. Any input is appreciated.

im running 138/300 dual springs ant a single rate of 219.. Thats for winch, bumper, larger battery, usually 2 people in XJ roof rack/exo/etc.....

-Red

How much lift Red? Thanks for the input.

MDMIKE said:
My buddy owns an offroad shop and is considering manufacturing his own coil springs. What are some favorite spring rates for 3'', 5" and 7" coils on cherokees. I read the whole thread on the RE 7.5" coil spring rates and saw what some of you wanted some special rates. He tested a set of stock 6 cyl springs and found about a 125 lb/in. I know people like different rates for different setups so we will assume an added 125 lbs on the front of the cherokee for average bumper winch combos. I dont think a long arm setup would institute a different rate so lets not get into the long vs short arm debate. Any input is appreciated.

I think he should retest, or test some more springs. The FSMs don't cite spring rates, but I've read that stock springs are 180 lbs/inch, Rusty's springs are 160 lbs/inch (and considered "soft" by many people), and that Up Country springs are 220 lbs/inch. 125 sounds VERY soft. Perhaps he had a 4-cyl spring?

I'm not sure I understand your point in mentioning the weight of a bumper/winch combo. That shouldn't affect the rate -- or doesn't have to, anyway. If you know you'll be adding a fixed weight to the front of your vehicle, there are two ways to compensate for it. One is a higher rate spring. But that means a stiffer ride under all conditions. The other is a taller spring.

Use your sample numbers of a 125 lb/in spring, and an added weight of 125 pounds. That extra weight will drop the static ride height 1" but the rate after that will still be 125 lbs/inch. Of course the added weight adds mass, so the ride quality can't be exactly the same, but it'll be in the same ballpark. How do you get back that lost inch of height? If you use a stiffer spring of the same length as the original, you can get the same height but the ride will always be stiffer. Or, you take a spring that's still 125 lbs/inch and wind it a bit more open, so it will settle to the same original height under the added load.

There was a thread a few days ago on which people were throwing around numbers in the 250 lbs/inch range.

I'm almost of the opinion that quality is of more importance than custom rates. I see a lot of threads complaining about a certain brand of coils breaking, and I see a lot of threads about another brand that seems to routinely result in anywhere from 1" to 2" more lift than advertised. I think there's a place in the market for reasonably priced springs that won't break, won't sag within 6 months, and actually provide the amount of lift they advertise.

JMHO

I'd like to see lift springs with about 150 to 175 lbs/", but I like soft springs...
Buck.

(after reading Eagle's post, I will caveat mine: Mine stockers came new at 140 lbs/" - tested by my local spring guy, i have used stiffer springs and don't like the ride on road, so went back to stockers with spacers, hence I would like to see what i wrote above, on about a 4-5" lifted spring).

Last edited:
On a 7" spring I would not go under 250 lbs/in. That appears to be where the RE 7.5" XJ springs are, by my calculations and measurements.

The type of suspension design has a LOT to do with how a given spring rate feels on the road and off. Short, steep arm angles tend to make even the softest springs seem stiff.

Whatever your friend does, have him publish the various rates he produces. Getting info from RE lately has been hit and miss.

CRASH

Spring Rate = the amount of weight (lbs) needed to compress spring 1".
Put a coil spring in a shop press on a scale. Measure unloaded height and measure dead weight of spring. Compress the spring 1" and take scale measurement then subtract dead weight. To double check on single rate springs compress another 1" giving total compression of 2" and check weight on scale. Not including dead weight 2nd weight should be double the first.
Factory XJ 6 cyl coil spring: unloaded height 17.75" 9 total coils/ 8 active spring rate approx. 125 lb/in
Crash: I agree with the control arm angles affecting spring rates. I am just trying to find a medium in determining spring rates. I should add that control arm angles are being kept within 10* +/- of factory spec using unspecified setups (drop brackets/long arm/short arm)

My buddy just got off the phone with his RE rep which said the 7.5" XJ coil rate is about 215 lb/in and the 5.5 is about 200lb/in. Crash how did you measure your spring rate? 250 lb/in sounds pretty stiff I cant see how you could get much compression out of that coil rate. I will have him test some new RE coils IF THEY EVER COME.

When I talked to RE they told me the RE ZJ is 240 lbs/in, and the new 7.5" is 246 lbs/in.

The coils on the 7.5" are thicker than the RE ZJ, and the spring is about 2 inches taller, unloaded. My measurements are at home.

CRASH

How many coils are in the RE 7.5 coil including dead coils?

I'll count them tonight.

CRASH

Maybe this will give people an idea on their spring rates.

Pro Comp Front Coils

TJ 2" 170 lbs/in
TJ 4" 175 lbs/in
XJ 3" 230 lbs/in
ZJ 3" 220 lbs/in

Im looking for more published spring rates.

MDMIKE said:
Maybe this will give people an idea on their spring rates.

Pro Comp Front Coils

TJ 2" 170 lbs/in
TJ 4" 175 lbs/in
XJ 3" 230 lbs/in
ZJ 3" 220 lbs/in

Im looking for more published spring rates.

Mike,

What parameters are you using for your spring rate calculation? Wire diameter, outside coil diameter, unloaded height????

CRASH

CRASH said:
On a 7" spring I would not go under 250 lbs/in. That appears to be where the RE 7.5" XJ springs are, by my calculations and measurements.

The type of suspension design has a LOT to do with how a given spring rate feels on the road and off. Short, steep arm angles tend to make even the softest springs seem stiff.

Whatever your friend does, have him publish the various rates he produces. Getting info from RE lately has been hit and miss.

CRASH

Heah Andy, do you know the spring rate on a 8" skyjacker coil? I just got these to replace my re 4.5" zj coils with a 2" spacers & the coils seem about the same length right next to each other. Do the 8" skyjacker coils have a higher spring rate and will not lose as much height when they settle as a 4.5" zj re coil? They seem to use heavier material in their coils and they seem to be would tighter than the re coil. Do you or anyone else have any opinions on these?

Redcbr007 said:
im running 138/300 dual springs ant a single rate of 219.. Thats for winch, bumper, larger battery, usually 2 people in XJ roof rack/exo/etc.....

-Red

Based on Sway-a-Ways dual spring rate calculator, you have a primary spring rate of 95 lbs/in.......not 219. You don't calculate a dual spring rate by adding together and then dividing in half the two spring rates. The reason the primary rate is lower than the tender spring rate is because while the tender spring is compressing the main spring is also compressing to some degree, so the overall rate is less than if the tender spring is working on it's own. Now, once the tender spring is fully compressed, the spring rate jumps up to 300 lbs/in which is the rate of the main spring. The length of each coil is a factor here, plus you are preloading the springs to set ride height, but that's the basic spring rate calculation.

jeepinmike said:
Spring rate calculator. http://www.cswnet.com/~carother/coil_spring_calculator.htm

Crash did you check how many active or total coils in RE 7.5 coil?

Wire Dia, active coils, and coil dia are the factors.

I was laid up with an allergy attack last night, but I'm nicely medicated now, so I'll get out there tonight to get my measurements.

CRASH

Back