• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unbelievably New

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
In Chicago Suburbs. I have my second 4X4 and my 1st Jeep. A 93 XJ automatic w/168000 and in great shape. My first 4X4 was a Suzuki Samurai, easy to figure out shifting.

I'm 47 and an idiot. I can launch rockets to 16,000ft at Mach 2 but a total dumbass when it comes to 4 wheeling.

When can I shift into what? I sure don't like grinding gears in the transfer case or the vacuum assist hub lock. What is the "best practice" for getting into 4H, 4L, when and at what speeds do I use "3" and "1-2" What speeds/rpm's are max best at what settings.

HELP ME... If you need computer advice...or want to get your rocket up (no jokes please) let me know.

Rob

I'd love to see you launch one of them suckers off.

As far as shifting into 4whl. You can shift into 4hi while you're moving, but don't be spinning your tires when you're doing it. Shifting into and out of 4lo requires stopping and putting the tranny in nuetral.

As far as the tranny shifting. Just leave it in D. You can play with the tranny also, it won't let you shift into a gear that the motor rpms won't be happy with i.e. shifting into first at 80mph. 1st and second are combined on the shifter and it sucks IMHO. You've got to be doing a certain rpm to have the thing shift into 2nd. Just play with it and find out.

Lastly, you'll have much better success if you ask tech questions in the tech forums. These questions should be asked on the oem tech board. The chapter boards are for local events and junk.

Welcome aboard,
Sean

Thanks,

I did ask these ??'s on the OEM board and got some great answers. I was just trying to get some answers from my "homies" so to speak.

More fitting for this forum- which burb are you in? We've got some good guys in several of the burbs, and even ( believe it or not ) in the city itself :D Keep an eye on this, the Informal Events, and the Off-Topic forums for some of our informal get togethers. You'll be welcome at any, and while we may have a little fun with the "newby", you'll met some great guys, and learn lots. If you're near Crestwood, your welcome to stop by here to "talk jeep", and maybe have a beer.
Again, Welcome

A pic of my 8' tall, 50lb V2 going off on an L impulse motor. (about 5000 Newtons, 250lbs of thrust.) It went to 3,318 ft at about 450 knots.

liftoff5.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet rocket!!
I wanted to get into high power rocketry, but,see, i have this xj, and it likes money a little too much for me to get a new hobby, the estes rockets are nice and cheap. Are you using those reloadable motors?

that is cool as hell!

do you have to get any "clearances" from any fed or gov agencies for that sort of thing?

wild.

I used to mess with silly little rockets when I was a kid.....

when I was playing with rockets, a class D solid fuel rocket engine was like, "badass"......

I'm askin cause it appears you've taken an interesting hobby to a totally crazy-ass level!

post more pics

post more info.

thanks

hmmm.....interesting....

How many squirrels do you think it can payload?

I know what your thinking B!

I am now entertaining homemade JATOS after that pic......

Gil "airborne NOVA w/JATO myth recently busted" Bullycatz

This had more power than your standard JATO. Actually we have FAA clearances, BATF licensing, governing body licensing as well. 3 levels of certification L3 being the top and necessary to fly M and above impulse motors.

Yes, these are reloadable, too expensive not to be. My 90 seconds of joy (that includes chute recovery, only 4 seconds of lift) cost $260 for the propellant alone. Rocket had $1200 PLUS in it. Yes, It came back OK and will fly again.

SEE GUYS... there ARE hobbies that cost more than 4X4!! Tell that to your spouses!

Rob

By the way... sending "biologicals" as payload is a huge No-No. Besides, it pulls about 25+G's during flight so it would liquify most vertibrates anyway! :skull2:

Last edited:
I will buy your propellant if we can send one squirrel up in the nose, with the full understanding that the little fawker will be fishfood when it comes back to earth.

Rocketman said:
My 90 seconds of joy (that includes chute recovery, only 4 seconds of lift) cost $260 for the propellant alone. SEE GUYS... there ARE hobbies that cost more than 4X4!! Tell that to your spouses!

Beez has been known to break more $ in parts in less time than that!!! :laugh:

Back