• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home brew hi-lift rack mounts

XJeffro

NAXJA Forum User
i have my hi-lift on my surco rack and i am using 2 U-bolts and plates to attach it. it is really pissing me off because it keeps coming loose and looks really cheap. i also want to lock it on there so no one steals it...
does anyone have any home brew rack mounts for the hi-lift? pics would be great too! thanks!

Here you go: No lock required. Took me about an hour and $2.85 worth of bolts and washers.
cargo1.JPG

cargo2.JPG

Hope that helps.

Where did you bolt that to?? DId you run bolts right through your seat??? I was wondering if anybody has ever found a way to bolt it to the factory roof rack?? I think that would be out of the way enough, and still accessable?
Thanks,

i duno about the factory roof rack.... i wouldnt want it there... when u do want to use it.. u'd have to pull off a 48-60" piece of steel that weighs 30lbs and could dent/scratch ur roof... i duno.. i just wouldnt want to worry about it hitting something up there... thas just me thought...

Yakima makes these things called mighty mounts and are shaped in all different styles of racks. I got the one shaped like my Thule rack bars and put a 3 inch carriage bolt through them and then washers and lock washers with a big butterfly bolt to top it off. Have wheeled a lot and has not failed yet. I would think they would have a mighty mount the shape of the factory rack. Have not hit anything yet up top while removeing it as far as scratching the roof goes. Also was able to find a big sealed lock that fits through my hi-lift and cargo basket and it tight so it does not bang around up there.

lobsterdmb said:
if you remove the bottom on the 48" jack, u can put it here:

i11.jpg

John :farmer:
I hadn't thought of that. There is room enough for the seat to actually lock down on top of that???? Interesting.....although, that is one if the better storage spot for anything...hate to eat it up with the HighLift....but very interesting.....

I don't a pic of it at the moment , But I just picked up 2 of the 2x4 brackets - that you use to baracade a door with or to store a 2x4 out of the way . Cost aboy $2 a piece . They bolt on perfect to an after market rack - old school hood pin bolts, washers and locks .

You can use the old spare tire holer to hold your hi-lift.

I welded the bolt to my rack and use the wing nut to retain it.

A cable gun lock works good to secure it.

is.php

Its pretty tough to beat the hi lift brand brackets they are only $20 and are quick and easy to use and lockable, heck they even come with a lock.

ChuckstrPT said:
I hadn't thought of that. There is room enough for the seat to actually lock down on top of that???? Interesting.....although, that is one if the better storage spot for anything...hate to eat it up with the HighLift....but very interesting.....

It closes and latches The high-lift doesn't eat up that much otf the space. I have 3 tow straps, drings, the stock bottle jack, a small tool box and a few mores things under the seat with the jack.

John

lobsterdmb said:
It closes and latches The high-lift doesn't eat up that much otf the space. I have 3 tow straps, drings, the stock bottle jack, a small tool box and a few mores things under the seat with the jack.

John

Thats nice and tucked away, and away from the elements, but typically when I am wheeling I have a cooler back there or a couple of other bags in the way so it can be a pain to get out, especially when there are 10 rigs behind you waiting. I liked having mine on my rack with the hi lift mounts, it was easy to get too and convienent to use. I also like the way Richards is mounted on his front bumper I don't particularily care for the looks but its super functional.

Gary E said:
Thats nice and tucked away, and away from the elements, but typically when I am wheeling I have a cooler back there or a couple of other bags in the way so it can be a pain to get out, especially when there are 10 rigs behind you waiting. I liked having mine on my rack with the hi lift mounts, it was easy to get too and convienent to use. I also like the way Richards is mounted on his front bumper I don't particularily care for the looks but its super functional.

Yeah, it is a pain to get to sometimes, but usually I don't have anything in the back seat when wheeling except maybe a small cooler, so for me it is a functional spot. I like that it is protected from the elements yet I have it with me at all times (i never take it out from under there so I have it even when not wheeling). Plus the seat holds it in place if god for bid i should ever I roll, so it won't go flying in the interior.

John

lobsterdmb said:
Yeah, it is a pain to get to sometimes, but usually I don't have anything in the back seat when wheeling except maybe a small cooler, so for me it is a functional spot. I like that it is protected from the elements yet I have it with me at all times (i never take it out from under there so I have it even when not wheeling). Plus the seat holds it in place if god for bid i should ever I roll, so it won't go flying in the interior.

John

Yeah its a good spot, but I wouldn't count on the seat holding it in by any means.

I have a tow package on my '92. I purchased a tow bracket (holds the ball and fits into the 2" square receiver) and drilled/tapped it with two 1/2" bolt holes. With this installed in my receiver the hi lift is just parallel with the rear bumper. I guess it's not a good thing to have more stuff down where the rocks can get it, but I didn't want all that weight on my roof rack. I'm just paranoid about roll-overs and try to keep the weight as low as possible.

witt said:
i duno about the factory roof rack.... i wouldnt want it there... when u do want to use it.. u'd have to pull off a 48-60" piece of steel that weighs 30lbs and could dent/scratch ur roof... i duno.. i just wouldnt want to worry about it hitting something up there... thas just me thought...

Man, you're a wuss :scared: Is it really that hard to lift a jack?? Maybe I have the lightweight hilift? Lol, I'm just messing with ya.

Mine is on the factory roof rack. I just drilled 2 holes in the cross bars. Put in a carraige bolt in each. Got some little star washers that hold the carraige bolt from falling out. Put the jack on and secured with 2 big washers and wing nuts. I also drilled a hole thru one of the bolts near the top so I can put a lock on it even though I'm lazy and have yet to lock it. I also stick a zip tie around the handle so it doesnt rattle. If I ever need the jack (haven't in a year) I'll just cut off the zip tie and put a new one back on when done. I have a bag of 100 zip ties for $2 or something I leave in the jeep. Very useful for lots of stuff!! It's out of the way and very accessible!! Looks neat too!

xj2k said:
Man, you're a wuss :scared: Is it really that hard to lift a jack?? Maybe I have the lightweight hilift? Lol, I'm just messing with ya.

Mine is on the factory roof rack. I just drilled 2 holes in the cross bars. Put in a carraige bolt in each. Got some little star washers that hold the carraige bolt from falling out. Put the jack on and secured with 2 big washers and wing nuts. I also drilled a hole thru one of the bolts near the top so I can put a lock on it even though I'm lazy and have yet to lock it. I also stick a zip tie around the handle so it doesnt rattle. If I ever need the jack (haven't in a year) I'll just cut off the zip tie and put a new one back on when done. I have a bag of 100 zip ties for $2 or something I leave in the jeep. Very useful for lots of stuff!! It's out of the way and very accessible!! Looks neat too!

lol ya... but i can just see myself lifting it up there.... droping it on my roof.... cuz ya... im a clutz that way.... :dunno:

Back