• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about bumper?

Legacy

NAXJA Forum User
Well yesterday i went to a pull it yourself junkyard to get a bumper, i took a bumper of an older cherokee 86-90 well attached to the bumper is a black ball its bolted on the passanger side. i was just wanted to know what the hell it is?

I also pulled to airbox, it had something called a smokestack. any one heard of this before?

thanks for the help.

Legacy said:
Well yesterday i went to a pull it yourself junkyard to get a bumper, i took a bumper of an older cherokee 86-90 well attached to the bumper is a black ball its bolted on the passanger side. i was just wanted to know what the hell it is?

I also pulled to airbox, it had something called a smokestack. any one heard of this before?

thanks for the help.
I think the "ball" is a vaccum reserve tank. Can't help you on the smokestack. :dunno:

Ok yeah, thanks stick that makes sense now it does have two vacuum line going to it. Yeah the smokestack has a sensor so if the air coming in air box is to cold it will close off the air coming from out side the jeep and take air from the engine compartment.

Is there any one with an older cherokee 86-90 with the stock cherokee air box but it has a sensor if the sensor reads that the air comming from out side is to cold it closes off the air comming from out side with a flap and opens to let warm air from the engine compartment. It has to lines coming of it one that goes from the sensor to the front of the air box but where does the other one hook up to?
When i asked why the air box was different they called it a smoke stack.
thanks for any help. Legacy.

There should be a hose running from a heat shield around the exhaust manifold to the "smokestack" inlet at the airbox that allows warm air from around the exhaust to preheat the intake air for faster engine warmup at a cold start. The flap valve then switches over to cooler fresh air when the engine reaches a certain operating temp. This system was deleted on later models (and I took it off on my '87 MJ 4.0) so you can certainly run without it if desired. I cut the entire front panel of the airbox open to allow more air flow.

i wanted to put it on my xj in order to help the warm up it takes my jeep around 10 minutes fro it to really warm up.
So is it worth it to have it or is just a waste?
thanks for the input.

I had just got in a minor fenddr bender this morning and the passenger side of the bumper caved in. I Had just planned on taking it off and banging everthing out. When I whent under to see what I was upo against I saw that black ball... I thougt it was just a cuchion for the bumper. From what I saw it was intact but should I replace it anyway or do without? Thanks for the help.
-Steve D.

Stick said:
I think the "ball" is a vaccum reserve tank. Can't help you on the smokestack. :dunno:

hey Stick,
cool avatar, what does the bottom say on it? I can see "Geniuine Cherokee", but can't read the rest... you got a higher quality pix?

:viking:

dogtired said:
hey Stick,
cool avatar, what does the bottom say on it? I can see "Geniuine Cherokee", but can't read the rest... you got a higher quality pix?

It says : Genuine Cherokee Owner/operator - complete with mud :cheers:

140570228fBWSSR_ph.jpg

Last edited:
StuckXJ said:
I had just got in a minor fenddr bender this morning and the passenger side of the bumper caved in. I Had just planned on taking it off and banging everthing out. When I whent under to see what I was upo against I saw that black ball... I thougt it was just a cuchion for the bumper. From what I saw it was intact but should I replace it anyway or do without? Thanks for the help.
-Steve D.

It may be okay, but check carefully at the mounting feet, because if the feet break off they sometimes leave a hole.

Stick said:
It says : Genuine Cherokee Owner/operator - complete with mud :cheers:

140570228fBWSSR_ph.jpg

thanks stick, but i can't view the link ya gave me, it is "forbidden" can you post here? thanks!

My 4wd sometimes looses its vacuum and pops out of 4. Is that a problem with the vacuum harness associated with the 4wd or could it be a leak somewhere like in the reserve ball?

Back