• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Salvage yard upcountry skids

Diablito

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriend just got an XJ , its a 92' lorado and has no skid plates. Idealy I would want to buy skid row skid plates, but money is tight and I need to go the cheep route. Will skids from an upcountry fit the lorado? How much should I expect to pay for skids from a salvage yard? thanks in advance.

The skids are basically the same on all XJs. Up-Country was a package that included the factory skids, but they'll fit all models, allowing for the following considerations:

Front: pretty much anything 84-01 should fit, but I'm not 100% sure on the 97+ on pre-96 models.

Transfer Case: you can pull this one from anything from 84-01.

Gas Tank: 97+ skids won't fit pre-96, due to differences in the tank (steel vs. plastic). I think anything pre-96 should work, but definitely anything off a 4.0L XJ should be right on the money.

From a boneyard, I wouldn't expect to pay more than $15-20 each.

Incidentally, if you happen to see an XJ with a decent-looking receiver hitch also, snatch that up as well - should be similar price.

You can try to get the mounting hardware as well off the donor wreck, but dont' expect it to be in very good shape - the nut rails I got turned out to have pretty badly bunged up threads, and I wound up not using them. Fortunately, hardware is cheap, and enough of us here have the instruction sheets from skids (I've got sheets from the front and t/c skids myself) we got from dealers that we can tell you what Chrysler/AMC spec'd for mounting bolts/nuts.

I got a hitch and gas tank skid for $25, and the guy I went to even pulled them off the wreck for me. I'd have gotten the T/C one from him as well, but some kids carried that one off in the night (go figure). A little sanding and Rustoleum, and the skid and hitch looked almost factory-new.

Rob

P.S. If you don't have a FSM, consider getting one - the illustrations were invaluable to me in mounting the OEM skids on my '92, particularly since the instructions (on the ones I had bought new) didn't come with pictures.

Back