• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 parking brake cables

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
The D44 I'm working on now has those cut so I need to replace those. And yeah, I'm sticking with drums for now cause by the time I do lockers and gears and tires soon after that I will be beyond broke. So.... should I get stock D44 cables? or some other ones? The rear is sitting at about ~4.5" and it will end up at about 5" or just over 5" after I get done with it....

I doubt that a "D44" parking brake cable is any different from an 8.25 parking brake cable or a D35 parking brake cable. They all go through a hole in the backing plate and attach to the brake shoe in about the same location and orientation.

Your XJ is a '98, correct? I believe the parking brake cables on the new XJs are different from those on the older models. For the older ones, YJ cables seem to be the cables of choice. I'm not sure if that applies to the newer ones or not.

What are you running for cables now? Why can't you re-use the existing cables?

Eagle said:
Your XJ is a '98, correct? I believe the parking brake cables on the new XJs are different from those on the older models. For the older ones, YJ cables seem to be the cables of choice. I'm not sure if that applies to the newer ones or not.

The end result is going to be a 98XJ with an 87 D44 :D and my 8.25 cables will go with the axle probably to the guy that's going to pick it up from me.

I use a pair of YJ (passanger side) E-Brake cables on my D44. They mount right up and are longer than stock XJ cables to account for extra lift.

The cables ARE different for the newer XJs. On my '01, the front of the cables "terminate" in a metal bracket that's attached to the driver's framerail. They are different length for left and right. On the older models, they come to a "Y" in the middle of the body underneath, and are the same length side to side.
FWIW, I used the same cables that I had with the 8.25, since it came from a '99.
HTH

BillR said:
The cables ARE different for the newer XJs. On my '01, the front of the cables "terminate" in a metal bracket that's attached to the driver's framerail. They are different length for left and right. On the older models, they come to a "Y" in the middle of the body underneath, and are the same length side to side.
FWIW, I used the same cables that I had with the 8.25, since it came from a '99.
HTH

I thought that they were same throughout the years... but it probably shouldnt be a big surprise that they're not.... in any case how's the length of your 8.25 cables and how much lift you got? Did you use stock ones or did you have aftermarket ones installed already?

<edit> just looked at your sig and I saw it said 5.5" :D so that answers that part of the question

Kejtar said:
I thought that they were same throughout the years... but it probably shouldnt be a big surprise that they're not.... in any case how's the length of your 8.25 cables and how much lift you got? Did you use stock ones or did you have aftermarket ones installed already?

<edit> just looked at your sig and I saw it said 5.5" :D so that answers that part of the question
That's the nice thing about the later XJs. All I had to do was move the bracket further back on the driver framerail. Two self-tappers and you're all set. I only needed to move it a couple of inches.
It's a completely different set-up than my buddy's '95. His cables are both the same length. My driver's side is quite a bit shorter.

The cables from your old 8.25 will work. I used YJ passenger side cables from a 1990 YJ on mine, the 91 and newer cables people recommend are to long past the sheath to work with the 97+ equalizer and bracket, at least that was my experience. Here's some shots of what I did on my 44. BillR, it never dawned on me to actually move the bracket. DOH!
http://www.kofira.com/jeep/ebrake/index.html

I have a 98 and I used a new pair of cables for the factory 8.25 axle on my D-44 swap.
I would think that whatever axle you use that has drum brakes will require using the factory style cable.
Eric

Kejtar said:
The end result is going to be a 98XJ with an 87 D44 :D and my 8.25 cables will go with the axle probably to the guy that's going to pick it up from me.

So your giving up on the 8.25 too. I just bought mine because it was rebuilt, had 4.56 gears and a full detroit locker. My current 8.25 had 4.56 gears and was open, but I have a no-slip that needs a few parts because it broke and I also have spare shaft for the 8.25 29 spline. I figured that I could get some $ for the 8.25 with 4.56 gears and the spare shafts and locker so I went with the dana 44. I still haven't hooked up my e-brakes on the dana 44 with my 7" lift, I hope they work.

steinjeep said:
So your giving up on the 8.25 too. I just bought mine because it was rebuilt, had 4.56 gears and a full detroit locker. My current 8.25 had 4.56 gears and was open, but I have a no-slip that needs a few parts because it broke and I also have spare shaft for the 8.25 29 spline. I figured that I could get some $ for the 8.25 with 4.56 gears and the spare shafts and locker so I went with the dana 44. I still haven't hooked up my e-brakes on the dana 44 with my 7" lift, I hope they work.
Yup, the guys that's getting my 8.25 is also getting my D30 (and I'm gonna take his) so that he doesn't have to regear it... he's getting one hell of a deal too!

Back