• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mid-EVIL TURDY

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
http://home.comcast.net/~cdutke/turdy/index.html

DSCF0041.JPG

Added Truss, ORGS TrackBar Relocation Bracket, and Currie LCA Mounts (only $40)

4.88 gears and Tru-Trac

Many thanks goes out to those who helped out!

That looks good!

I may just have to do some gusseting to mine! :D

I also see you deleted the disco, what seal # did you use to do it?

hjeepxj said:

Don't know what it cross references to, but I have a 470160 part number.

Same welder I've been using, I think. 110volt, .035" wire feed? (at least that's what's in the background of the pics) I was wondering how you were able to weld to the housing? I've read in different places of having to prep the housing by pre-heating it or using a specific type of welding rod. Is this the case?

Looks good chuck. I like that you have covered flex in both plains. I am assuming most of the carrier flex comes from the long side tube flopping around. Did you do anything to the short side tube?

If I was you I would add a brace from that JKS bracket to the upper arm mount! :D

hinkley

BTW

Then I would put some racer holes in that big brace, it adds 10 HP! :D

Mark Hinkley said:
BTW

Then I would put some racer holes in that big brace, it adds 10 HP! :D

Don't laugh - there would be little loss by doing the holes. :)

If'n it was me I would "cap" both of those plates you welded in with another long skinny plate, say, 1.5" - 2" wide and weld it on. Kinda like building the top cap on an I-beam. That'll increase the cross-section polar moment of area and be stronger to bending in those planes.

I'm interested in the welding details - did you just mig the steel plate to the diff housing? No prep like heating or special ord or?

I have a HP housing here I need swing under my `01...and if I can weld it myself and save a few more bucks...

HTH/T!

r@m

hjeepxj said:
That looks good!

I may just have to do some gusseting to mine! :D

I'm pretty sure it's the one from the other post. I ended up getting it from the 4 wheel shop in Tulare. They told me what CJ it came from and I research the measurements and it matched the seal they gave me.

I meant to trace the gussets before wleding, I might still be able to trace them and scan them.

ChuckD said:
I'm pretty sure it's the one from the other post. I ended up getting it from the 4 wheel shop in Tulare. They told me what CJ it came from and I research the measurements and it matched the seal they gave me.

Allrighty.

I ended up biting the bullet and ordering the seals from warn, so I would be assured that they would work...

Out of curiosity, do you remember how much you paid?

Warn also wanted to sell me the block off plate for 20$. I almost jumped through the phone and choked the dude. :D JK but still, 20$ for a peice of steel? :soapbox:

Capt. Nemo said:
Same welder I've been using, I think. 110volt, .035" wire feed? (at least that's what's in the background of the pics) I was wondering how you were able to weld to the housing? I've read in different places of having to prep the housing by pre-heating it or using a specific type of welding rod. Is this the case?

The VP, FarmerMatt did the welding. So the unit in the picture was not used. As far as preheating, we did the LCA's first, it got the pumkin pretty warm.

hjeepxj said:
Allrighty.

I ended up biting the bullet and ordering the seals from warn, so I would be assured that they would work...

Out of curiosity, do you remember how much you paid?

Warn also wanted to sell me the block off plate for 20$. I almost jumped through the phone and choked the dude. :D JK but still, 20$ for a peice of steel? :soapbox:

I thought the same thing, $20 for a piece of steel. RTV, I think will seal that up from any water or dust problems.

Root Moose said:
Don't laugh - there would be little loss by doing the holes. :)

If'n it was me I would "cap" both of those plates you welded in with another long skinny plate, say, 1.5" - 2" wide and weld it on. Kinda like building the top cap on an I-beam. That'll increase the cross-section polar moment of area and be stronger to bending in those planes.

I'm interested in the welding details - did you just mig the steel plate to the diff housing? No prep like heating or special ord or?

I have a HP housing here I need swing under my `01...and if I can weld it myself and save a few more bucks...

HTH/T!

r@m

Part of Gary E's design is to add that piece of flat you are talking about. FarmerMatt's Lincoln Mig was used, and I feel there was som adequate preheating by welding on the LCA's first.

ChuckD said:
I thought the same thing, $20 for a piece of steel. RTV, I think will seal that up from any water or dust problems.

:cheers:

Back