• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

breakes

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
i have some trouble with my breaking system the problem is that the pedal is to hard when you prees it, and a friend told me that is the brake pump i just want if some one of you can give me a advise or can i replace it whit another one more stronger because i want to use a 33 tires

The Cherokee has used several different brake systems. We need to know what year Cherokee, and if you have ABS or not.

Sometimes we get people on here who's first language isn't english. That may be the case here.

The public profile lists a 90 XJ by the way. You get that by clicking on his name and then "public profile" in the drop down window that opens.

Eagle said:
The Cherokee has used several different brake systems. We need to know what year Cherokee, and if you have ABS or not.

Which is why the sig field should be open to non members.

As for the brakes (assuming its a '90 XJ) you could do a dual diaphram booster conversion which is what I am in the middle of. I also did disc brakes off of a ZJ in the rear and running ZJ proportioning valve and master cylinder.

When you say too hard what do you mean by that you cant press it down or it goes all the way to the floor?
DIG IT

If this is an ABS system, I can't tell you anything, but if not here's a good way to start the diagnosis. Get in the driver's seat and before starting the engine, pump the pedal a couple of times, to ensure that there is no vacuum remaining in the system. The pedal should be nice and hard. Now, with your foot still firmly planted on the pedal, start the engine. If your vacuum booster is working, the pedal should drop noticeably when the engine starts, and feel softer. If this is not the case, either your booster is bad, or the vacuum line to it is bad.

Talyn said:
Didn't they switch to that faulty bendix brake system in 91? Or was teh switch done earlier?

-Chris

The Bendix ABS system was an OPYION that was introduced in 1989. They didn't "switch to" it -- the standard brake system was the same as it had been since the first XJ rolled off the line.

Herreraxto mentioned a "pump," which implies ABS, but we don't know if his XJ has ABS. His friend may be guessing at something he doesn't even have. We need more information about the vehicle and how it is equipped.

Back