• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
So ive been wanting to get a roof rack for my jeep, but i dont have the money for one of those fancy ones. So i was wondering if anyone out there has built one that looks pretty decent, and if any one has done a write up on plans.And if i were to do this would it make my jeep more liable to flip seeing that i am also taking the doors off to. Any information would be cool. Thanks,
scott

Scott, do a search. Lots of guys have built their own roof racks and described them in forums. As for raising the center of gravity, the rack by itself shouldn't be significant, but if you add weight to it, it will raise the COG. I have a 32" spare on top of mine, it worried me at first, but hasn't caused a rollover yet.

I just finished building my rack last week and the thing doesnt weigh maybe 50 lbs, all 3/4 square tubing. I cant even tell mine is up there, so I dont think its that big a deal for COG.

Mike

I have been lookin long time myself, I think I'm going with this one

Kargo Master Kilimanjaro Aluminum Roof Rack
Code:KM-Kilimanjaro
Price:$379.99

offroadtoystore.com

Best price I've found and light weight!

I wanted a rear bumper with tire carrier for 35' tire but Warn doesn't make one yet only up to 1997 I have 98 XJ for weight COG purposes..

I just tried to pull the new Jeep into the garage tonight and forgot unlike the old Jeep the new one has a roof rack. The rack cleared but the spare tire didn't. The rack and the house survived but the floor of the rack is destroyed. It was a home made rack attached to the factor roof rack bars so it sat up kinda high. I'm going to build a new floor and mount it to the rain gutter to get it low enough to allow it to fit in the garage with a spare tire. Just thought you might like to learn from my mistake

Pride, I'm going to go with the BPI fab rear bumper. I emailed the guys at Warn and asked them about a rear bumper for 98' and newer, and i got an email back saying they were working on it. if you go to www.bpifab.com they have some nice ones. they're kinda spendy, but well worth it in my opinion.

Kristen

Thanks for all the info guys. The rock, is it possible that you could post some pics as to how you mounted it to the stock rails, or how it would be mounted to the rain gutters, thanks again
scott

scottsxj said:
Thanks for all the info guys. The rock, is it possible that you could post some pics as to how you mounted it to the stock rails, or how it would be mounted to the rain gutters, thanks again
scott
I used Kargo Masters factory rail mount. It's a super clean, very low profile (2"-3" roof clearance) mounting system for $39.

The guy I bought the Jeep off of bolted a 1" tube on top of the factor cross bars and put the rack on top those. This made the rack sit up high. I'm planning on welding 5 cross tubes in for a floor and a attachment point for clamping down the spare. I'm looking at using Con-ferr HDS gutter mounts. These are their low profile version.

Back