• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker in front or rear axle?

mikie2084

NAXJA Forum User
Would I benefit more from putting a limited slip in the front or rear axle? I am looking at the powertrax no slip and the trutrac. I was going to do the rear axle but a buddy told me to do the front, his reasoning is that the front is going to dig and bite more than the rear, so if anyone can help thanks.

mike

mikie2084 said:
Would I benefit more from putting a limited slip in the front or rear axle? I am looking at the powertrax no slip and the trutrac. I was going to do the rear axle but a buddy told me to do the front, his reasoning is that the front is going to dig and bite more than the rear, so if anyone can help thanks.

mike

I'd say start with the rear and get a selectable for the front later. Also FYI no slip is an automatic locker not a limited slip.

I listened to the old guys who suggested front first and I've been quite happy. I'd be a rich man if I had a nickel for every time I've seen someone with only a rear locker try to climb something I just walked right over. Funny, I notice these are the same guys who try to climb obstacles at 20mph.

For mechanical vs. selectable...I'd go with a full mechanical up front so you don't notice it so much in 2WD, then a selectable in rear so it's invisible on the street.

It is my dd and as of now I have only enough money to do one axle. I am getting the RE6200, 4.56 gears, and a few other things but the "traction device" to what axle is really slowing the process. When the gears get put in I'd really like to have everything going in at once. I am not planning to put a limited slip or locker in the other axle so as of now which would you do? One is better than none right?

mike

It would depend on where you wheel. I do a lot of loose climbs and a locker in the rear made them a cakewalk. Climbing most of your weight is distributed over the rear tires. An unweighted locked front axle is just gonna spin both tires.

Lucas said:
It would depend on where you wheel. I do a lot of loose climbs and a locker in the rear made them a cakewalk. Climbing most of your weight is distributed over the rear tires. An unweighted locked front axle is just gonna spin both tires.

I would agree with Lucas on that. I've got a locker in front and limited slip in rear and it works out real well. But my front is disconnect so on the street it has perfect manners. If you've got disconnect front and want superb street manners, then put it in the front. If you want the best offroad performance and don't mind a little character on the street, go rear.

It also depends what axle out back as to what's available.

A True Trac or other full case diff (Detriot, Auburn, ARB etc) requires resetting the ring & pinion mesh. An EZ lunchbox type is a couple hour ez install.

If I had to pick an end to have a traction aid in, it'd be the back.

Most of the wheelin round here is loose shale, rock, mud, not many boulders to climb over so I figured the rear would be best, but I am no expert. I don't mind a little chirping and jerking, but a friend has a 94 wrangler 5sp, 4.88's, 35" tires, and a detroit locker in the rear and honestly I hate riding on the street with him. It will give you whiplash from all the jerking because of the locker. That is something I don't want to happen but mine is an auto and I "heard" that auto's make lockers more bearable?

mike

i have a lockright in my Toy 8" rear, with an auto tranny. i've only had it in for a couple weeks, but i've driven probably 100 miles just around town. it's perfect! it seriously might as well be an ARB; there has not been a single time that it has locked that i didn't want it too, and not a single time i've wanted it to lock and it hasn't.

The rear is the 8.25 and front is hp d 30 under a 98 xj. The auburn and truetrac are just about the same price so which would you guys pick? I am 99% sure I want the "traction aid" in the rear.

mike

mikie2084 said:
Most of the wheelin round here is loose shale, rock, mud, not many boulders to climb over so I figured the rear would be best, but I am no expert. I don't mind a little chirping and jerking, but a friend has a 94 wrangler 5sp, 4.88's, 35" tires, and a detroit locker in the rear and honestly I hate riding on the street with him. It will give you whiplash from all the jerking because of the locker. That is something I don't want to happen but mine is an auto and I "heard" that auto's make lockers more bearable?

mike

That;s odd.... I have a no slip in mine that I picked up from someone who replaced it with a detroit for a better on road manner. This is surprising to me as I don't really notice the noslip in the first place, so I can't even imagine how much more invisible the detroit can be.

One more thing to add on the front/rear traction choice. In the front you can "hunt" For traction with wheel turning while n rear if you don't have it... you just plain don't have it. I run a no slip in the rear now and I love it. I will be upgrading the axle over the summer and I will put a detroit into the new one, and if I have money then something in the front as well, but hte rear is getting it first.

If your main focus is offroad performance then I would say the rear is better but that will depend on your type of wheeling. If you are looking for street manners then the front would be the bette choice for an autolocker.

I have been running a lock right in the front for a while now in a non disconnec axle with an open rear and I never noticed it on the street at all but it made a big difference offroad. I just put a no-slip in the rear when I swapped in the D44, it now drives like crap on the street (maybe I'm just not used to it yet). I haven't had a chance to try it offroad yet but I expect some improvement. I hope to upgrade the rear to a selectable some day so that it drives better, I was thing ECTED if it becomes available for the D44.

Like it was said before, I wouldn't bother with a limited slip for offroad use, it won't help much at all (that is what I had in the TJ). With the L/S once you unload one tire it acts just like an open diff.

Back