• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stingers???

It also provides a very good spot for spotters to lean on/tug on/otherwise influence the vehicle. The farther out the stinger, the more leverage said spotter will have. They are also sometimes used to ramp up onto rocks, especially if you don't have enough approach angle. Put the stinger on the rock and keep driving - it'll push the frontend up as you slide along the stinger, hopefully allowing you to get a tire on the rock.

EDIT: and oh yea, they look like ass.

Last edited:
It'll also protect your hood, in a rollover.

I think big ones look pretty damned stupid though.

"Look at me I have a big freakin bumper to compensate for something".

Yea i kinda agree they look stupid. Thats why i could not figure out why people put them on, especially those big huge ones.
Thanx for the info Digger

I kinda like the look on a smaller vehicle. We built one into my friend's Samurai when we made the new bumpers, and it looks pretty bad ass. It probably sticks about 8" above the hood, and it has kept the thing from going over at least once so far. As far as a good place for a spotter to hang from, I've never seen anyone need to do that, we mostly hang from the back to keep it from flipping forward.

A stinger has NOTHING to do with "look". To comment on "the look" assumes a misunderstanding of the purpose......its 100-percent about the FUNCTION.

Beezil said:
A stinger has NOTHING to do with "look". To comment on "the look" assumes a misunderstanding of the purpose......its 100-percent about the FUNCTION.

I disagree. Perhaps it SHOULD be only about the function, but it's very obviously not. I'd say for every rig that has a stinger on it explicitly for function, there are two rigs with stingers primarily for looks. I'll take some pictures next time I hit the local trails - it's usually not difficult at all to find half a dozen rigs running some type of stinger that will never see a rock or tow strap.

Cresso, you and I are saying the same damn thing.....my thoughts EXACTLY....

that's what i meant when i say they have nothing to do with "look".....

so the next time you hit the trails and see those "all about the look" stingers, Tell 'em "my, that's a pretty LOOKING stinger you have there".....

Beezil said:

Stingers are also good for the artic rigs... they need to cross those deep crevices in the ice, the stinger adds wheel base but does not hinder entry angle.

let say yoru frotn tires go into the deep crack the stinger will keep the hood form goint right into the crack...

Also they protect the radiator most importantly. In a roll your radiator is first to get hit!! who cares about body dammage wiht a busted radiator that wont get you home...

This stinger was a joke, I heard the shop guys too a stick of tube and just bent it in half as a joke. BUT It was never removed and became a perminent bumper on this MANCHEE.

The correct way to spot and stay safe is to use a rope, and the stinger is perfect for a front rope.. yea Ive had guys jump on my bumpers and sliders too... but spotting ropes should be used.

digger4u said:
Yea i kinda agree they look stupid. Thats why i could not figure out why people put them on, especially those big huge ones.
Thanx for the info Digger
Pure function.
stinger.jpg
:D
72 Hilux with 37" boggers :D

Back