• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

friggin brakes

cjmatt

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have replaced front pads and rotors, and installed a new rear axle and still have almost no pedal feel in the system. would new hoses help? or front calipers. my rear brakes in the axle are all newer and look & work fine. the brakes stop fine but are super squishy and seesm like you hafta push to the floor to get em to do anything. what do i need to do?

perhaps you need to have the brake lines bled.
Try going out into the Jeep, and without turning it on or anything else, just pump the brakes 2 or 3 times. You should feel the pressure build up. Take it out for a rip and see if it made a difference.

What year XJ? How many miles?

If it's an older one, more than likely you need to replace the combination/proportioning valve (that junction block just below the master cylinder).

Old soft hoses will also add to this squishy feeling. One thing, when bleeding the brakes on a system that is getting up there in years DO NOT PUSH THE BRAKE PEDAL ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR when the bleeder is opened. Any corrosion that is present in the master cylinder will damage the seals as the piston goes further than it has ever done before ripping the seals. You can get away with this on a new one but not an old one.
The best method is to use a vacumn gun and have someone keep the master cylinder at least half way full and to pour gently. Pour it from high up and you get air bubbles in there that you just end up pulling thru the system in an endless loop. Eastwood has a one man bleeder system and the filler bottle goes in upside down into the master cylinder resevoir with a float valve in it, as the level goes down it allows more fluid to drain out of the bottle and into the resevoir. The eastwood one has changed is is now pressurized, not sure whether I like that or not, you need an exra mastercylinder cap with a hole drilled thru it to put on a fitting.
My friend did a brake job on a ford aerostar that has ABS a couple of weeks ago. He put a new master in and had a heck of time getting all the air out. It took 7 bleeds with the bleed machine to get all the air out. Air was collecting in the high spots on the abs assembly, only a concerted continous bleed got it all out at what he swears was 'A bubble at a time it seemed like'... and this was doing all 4 corners at the same time....

Yeah I would definatly check your rear wheel cylinders too. I had a very similar symtoms with my jeep. (All new pads and newer lines/other misc brakework) I was loosing pressure through a bad wheel cylinder caused by an adjuster that broke off and was grinding around in the drum. I could find no brake fluid leaking until i removed the drum becasue it was a small amount. If you don't have enough pressure its most likely a leak or air in your brakelines.

cjmatt said:
ok i have replaced front pads and rotors, and installed a new rear axle and still have almost no pedal feel in the system. would new hoses help? or front calipers. my rear brakes in the axle are all newer and look & work fine. the brakes stop fine but are super squishy and seesm like you hafta push to the floor to get em to do anything. what do i need to do?

Question: What does a "new rear axle" have to do with pedal feel ? ... or are you saying you installed a used rear axle & brake assembly as a unit and now you have a soft pedal ?

Without isolating the event when you started experiencing a "soft pedal" ... you could chase this problem indefinitely.

Some may disagree, but I would start in this sequence:

1. flush and pressure-bleed the system ... don't pump the MC
2. test

If that doesn't work ...

1. new flex hoses
2. new rear wheel cylinders (cheap insurance)
3. new or rebuild the calipers (never push old pistons back, they can & will suck air)
4. cross-hatch the rotors
5. re-bleed the system
6. test

If that doesn't work ...

1. new OEM pads
2. turn & cross-hatch rotors
3. new OEM shoes
4. new drums
5. new Hardware kit
6. re-bleed
7. test

If that doesn't work ... depending on model year, replace or upgrade ...

1. proportion valve
2. master cylinder
3. power booster (only if you upgrade to late model unit)
4. re-bleed
5. test

If that doesn't work ...

It's time to sell

ok what i meant by new axle was that i put it an 8.25 from a 2000 cherokee sport with 30k miles and the brakes were still perfect on it when we removed it. im going to go ahead and change all the hoses and have the fluid all changed out because the stuff is kinda brown looking and im sure has sucked in some water. im gonna take it in to a shop and have them actually go thru and do a flush of all the old fluid. new calipers up front also should help. if not then im prob gonna redo the master cylinder and see what that does

I notice you still haven't told us what year XJ or how many miles are on it.

My money is still on the combo valve.

Back