• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brake noise (Dana 44)

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I seem to have a squeal coming from the drum area somewhere. The brakes work fine. (firm pedal, no pulling, stops quickly) At the VERY end of a stop (<5mph) I get a high-pitched whine until I come to a complete stop. The drums were turned during the initial rebuild and the shoes have been replaced again. This is a Dana 44 from an '87.
What am I missing? :dunno:

ChuckD said:
After driving it for awhile do you smell the brakes in the rear? Maybe you just need to adjust it a little more. Eventually I got mine nailed in, but I didn't have any extra squealing. Have you checked your front pads?
No, there's no smell and it doesn't get hot. It's definately coming from the rear though.
Will it squeal if it's too LOOSE? I set it to where the shoes JUST drag a little.

I had the same problem after the re-build,newly turned drums and new brakes.All I did was back up a few times and let the self-adjusters do their job.No squeel now.
Wayne

Back