• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS-doesn't want to come off

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
Tried to get the NSS off yesterday to no luck. I used the trick on Jeepin.com but that just pulled/ripped the nut off. So it starts just no back up lights. Any other ideas as to getting this thing off? I would really like to clean it out (never been done) so I don't have the starts everytime and than it doesn't thing. Thanks Juice

how did it rip off a threaded nut? tighten the nut down a little further and try it again. once you get out far enough you might have to shove something in between your screw driver and the lip of the pan to get leverage again

Neutral Safety Switch

Juice, I agree with small P - it was a bit of a pain, but it'll come off. put the nut on a few turns and then try again.

One note, I was able to clean mine without removing it from the truck. I unplugged it in the engine bay, but didn't snake the cable all the way back (too lazy). Just be careful you don't lose the little brass contacts on the arm. Also, be sure you align it right when you re-install it. With the trans in Neutral, the scored line on the NSS case should be in line with the shaft the NSS mount on. If you don't align it right, the back up light still won't work (been there, done that).

btw - don't take this this wrong way, but you did take the top bolt out, right?

Good luck,
Andy

Ya I did take the top bolt out. I'll try a few more turns. Would some PB blaster or the like work to help move it off the shaft? I'll try again this weekend. Thanks Juice

coach9119 said:
Neutral Safety Switch

Also, be sure you align it right when you re-install it. With the trans in Neutral, the scored line on the NSS case should be in line with the shaft the NSS mount on. If you don't align it right, the back up light still won't work (been there, done that).

funny you say that, I did that the first time I cleaned the NSS. :doh:

The back half of my NSS was plastic, so be careful about degreasers/solvents that might damage the plastic. You can also try to wiggle the thing on the shaft. It should rotate a bit from the front of the car to the back.

Combination of everything. Jiggle it, spay down with PB, tap with hammer to let the oil spread. Push a fat flathead or prybar into the top between the tans and NSS, then do the nut/screwdriver trick with just enough thread exposed to get the screwdriver in there.

I had the same issue with the nut sliding off. How did u end up getting it off? I sprayed it with PB blaster and put it back together for now. I will try again tomorrow, or spray again and try in another day. What did u use to get it off besides the pry trick?

Back