• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good or bad idea???

FELIX

Who Knows, Ask Who
I'm thinking about using some of that expandable foam, to seal the door jams & the fenders, where the black mud guard inside the wheel well is, or was, to advoid further dirt & mud to get in there & rust out the door jams. Do you guys think this would be ok??? Has anyone done anything simular.What are your thoughts, either for or against.

Thanks
Rob

Flip a coin....yeah, it helps keep some stuff out..but it also keeps moisture locked in, longer, when it penetrates. There's been a few people suggest it for even larger areas, but I seem to remember a few people pointing out the down side. Depends on the product, but, damned stuff squeaks when it's rubbed against, too :) Check out the threads about rust, doesn't take that long to just do it right. (this from the guy who stood around and handed tools to the guy who WAS doing it right). Sanding and grinding builds character..and you'll never find a larger collection of characters than we are, no question....

do you mean an expanding foam like "Great stuff" ? If so at home depot they sell a "great stuff" in differebnt variations, the old school one, a minimal expanding one .... and for you a closed cell one that is either water proof or water resistant. I would try one rear quater panel and see if it rusts out. or test it in something else first like go buy steel gas tank and foam it up then get it wet. I don't think its a good idea.

Not a good idea. The previous owner of my rig did that between the front fender and the cowl area to seal up the back of the wheelwell. Just like others have stated, it squeaks bad when wet as you hit bumps. I decided to pull the stuff out when I cut the fenders bigger. It was late summer and we hadn't had any rain for weeks, but when I started tearing at it with a long knife, I got pretty soaked with water trapped in all the little gaps and cavities.

I use to work for a guy that did the foam thing to his Scout. He said it damped out a ton of road noise, but created some serious rust problems.

MaXJohnson said:
I use to work for a guy that did the foam thing to his Scout. He said it damped out a ton of road noise, but created some serious rust problems.

Rust issues on a Scout? C'mon, tell us you are pulling our leg, right?

I you dont have the fender liner in any more. I have heard that using a pool 'noodle' works well!!!

I went to the local hardware store & got some pipe insulation. Just needed 1 stick. Don't remember if it was 2 1/2 or 3 inch. Works good & was cheep. JIM.

Pool Noodle

You can go to pool store, and buy a "Pool Noodle", and it fits perfectly into the the top and back of the fender.

A "Pool Noddle" is one of those colored 4' long floaty things that kids use for floatation.

Back