• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C-clip D-35?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
I've opened up my D35 in my '92 XJ I-6 Auto. I looked at the axle gears and don't see anything that looks like a c-clip. My dif housing has 1991 stamps on it so maybe it was produced in '91 but installed in '92. Where do I look?
Thanks!

I would say the whole Jeep was produced in 1991 as a 1992 model year. Just guess. I think on the door is the build date. Driver or pass. door frame. Juice

mhead said:
Bet you are right! But how do I tell a c-clip D35 from one that's not?
Thanks!

the c-clip will not be exposed until you remove the tire and brake drum and press in on the axle shaft. then if you can look in the pumpkin and see the exposed end of the shaft you will see a c-clip on the end.

Inside the center section of the differential are two cone-shaped gears, mounted on the ends of the axle shafts. If you look carefully at the end of the axle shaft where it sticks through the inside face of the side gear, that's where the c-clip lives.

Yep, that's what I thought. I looked carefully and didn't see any clips. If I dismount the wheen and brake drum I should be able to see some feature there. What should I see?

mhead said:
Yep, that's what I thought. I looked carefully and didn't see any clips. If I dismount the wheen and brake drum I should be able to see some feature there. What should I see?

You would see a backing plate with 4 bolts in it.This plate will cover part of the brake backing plate.
Wayne

Back