• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doesn't want to start

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
My motor takes about 5 seconds of cranking befor it fires up, it has done this for the 2 weeks that I have had it, but it can't be good on the starter. I have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, and that didn't help, could it have something to do with my fuel preasure, I changed my fuel filter, and air filter. How can I fix this

Turn the key to the run position for about 5 sec. then try to start it. If it starts right up the check valve on the fuel rail is prob. bad. I have to do this on both of my XJ's. HTH. JIM.

bigpimpinben said:
I tried that and it didn't work, are there any other things that it could be??

Make sure that your fuel filter is not clogged, that it's installed in the right direction and that your fuel pump doesn't allow the fuel to flow back into the tank after it sat for a while. To test for the latter, crank it in the morning (do the 5 sec crank thing) then stop it and crank again. If you can get it reliably to start immediately the second time around then the problem is that your fuel is being evacuated into the tank when your XJ sits.

Oops, I just reread the other post... so the fuel backflow is not an issue. Do check your fuel filter and so on though.

Back