• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 pinion vs. 8.25 pinion

ThePhantum

NAXJA Forum User
So I've decided to put a D44 in the 97 (instead of the 8.8 I was thinking about). I should be picking one up this weekend from a guy in MD. Here my question: What is the difference in the pinion length between a D44 and an 8.25?

I know that the D44 is about an inch or so longer than the D35, but I'm not sure about the D44 vs. 8.25.

Basically I need to know if I need to get a shorter (or longer) driveshaft as well.

Thanks.

Steve

Just did the same swap 500 miles ago.8.25 out,D44 in,It looked to me that the drive shaft moved out(longer) when attatched to the 44.This was eye-balling the wear area under the grease seal.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Just did the same swap 500 miles ago.8.25 out,D44 in,It looked to me that the drive shaft moved out(longer) when attatched to the 44.This was eye-balling the wear area under the grease seal.
Wayne

So then it sounds like you just used the existing shaft? What about the diff yoke...did it require a different u-joint?

Steve

ChuckD said:
An XJ D44 is a direct swap for an XJ 8.25. The only difference maybe the length of the rear drive shaft. Ujoints are exactly the same.
It is not a direct swap.The DS u-joints and length are,but the axle tubes are smaller on the D44 and require different U-bolts.
Running a RE SYE and DS so I,m not stock in the DS department,but all are stock size u-joints.
Wayne

Yea, I knew about the axle tube differences requiring different u-bolts. Even if the tubes were the same size I would get new ubolts...

I was more concerned about the driveshaft length and whether or not the ujoints were the same or not.

Thanks for all your responses.

Steve

I have an MT,
My OEM drive shaft and extended slip yoke has worked for all the axles I have had. Originally I had an 8.25 and then an 87' D35 and now an 87' D44. Same shaft worked for all of them.

Right now I have an SYE with a spicer DoubleCardan. It has worked with both my D35 and D44. I had to add 1" of lift for the D44, it has a longer snout.

When I did this swap on my 99, something I had to deal with was the difference in how the brakeline attaches to the housing. It isn't that big of a deal but on the 8.25 the breather tube is also the bolt that holds the brake line T to the housing, so it has a big hole in it for that reason. On the 44 I got, there was a small bolt to hold the brake line and a small seperate breather off to the side. Anyways, just thought you should know.

marcus

yea...went from D35 to D44 and used the same TW CV shaft. the difference in length was about .5" and wasnt a problem at all. THe jeep's at 6" in the rear.

-J

marcusguy said:
When I did this swap on my 99, something I had to deal with was the difference in how the brakeline attaches to the housing. It isn't that big of a deal but on the 8.25 the breather tube is also the bolt that holds the brake line T to the housing, so it has a big hole in it for that reason. On the 44 I got, there was a small bolt to hold the brake line and a small seperate breather off to the side. Anyways, just thought you should know.

marcus
Thats right,the breather tube on the 44 is a pushed in plastic part,the 8.25 is a brass combination piece that holds the brake line block and is a vent attachment.
If you have the 44 axles out,the vent hole can be threaded to accept the new hollow bolt,the thread is a bastard size 7/16-20.The brake attachment hole is 1/4-20 and could be closed off.
The YJ brake hose I used had this larger hole.
If you want to reuse the steel brake lines the smaller hole could be drilled and tapped larger then you would have two vents
HTH ?
Wayne

Back