• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing airbox w/ fipk?

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking of doing this because i've heard good things, better mpg, more power, etc. However I've been looking around and I've decided to go with a KN filter, but what fipk setup? there's a whole mess of them out there.

One that is really good on my list is the KN one, but I'm not sure if I wanna shell out the $ for that; or do a homebrew, or one that just holds the filter then the hose attachment. (I've searched around the forum for info but i'm still not sastified) TIA

For what the FIPK sells for you'd be doing youself a favor spending a bit more and putting an ARB snorkel on it instead. I don't like that big open cone filter under there but then again maybe those who have them have never had to clean the mud off the top of an airbox either...

I've got a Rusty's air tube on mine, the only problem is I have to remove it for smog checks. Look into your local smog laws (if you ahve them) to see what you can get away with, the year of the Jeep matters (You can get tubes for '91 - '01 4.0's that ar CARB approved, but not for my '89 :()

If I had it to do over again I'd either build my own or use a RocketAir tube, that puts the filter up over the cylinder head, nice and high.

Oh, get yoruself a K&N prefilter sock as well, that way when you hit the dirt you put that on, makes clean up a snap.

Sequoia

Hmm, mine's a 94 so it should be fine, with teh carb exempt thing. As for offroading, It'll be wet.. muddy.. no rocks really for me... I live near major waterways and such. so, you're quite correct about a snorkel... It does cost the same if i get it from KN, but if it's a homebrew, much less. that's kinda the issue I have..

I'm really wheeling in various environments, also I don't wheel quite often enough to consider serious hardware changes. To me an FIPK would be a simple change out for me. At this moment I'm really shopping around, if i'm going to get an snorkel, i'll probably get an arb one like the one gojeep has. I like that one.

Last edited:
juicexj24 said:
You can get 50 state legal air tubes from XJ-Armor for 87-01's. Juice
Not true for California. '87 - '90 are different because they have the warm air injection valve (or whatever it's called :)) off the manifold.

In 1991 they ditched that system.

The snorkel looks cooler :D
I have a K&N flat panel in my 98, did not notice much difference cept I had this kind of grit in the air tube so I went back to paper, cleaned the KN and went back to it next change. So far no grit but I oil it a bit more frequently now too.

Back