• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Source of coolant reservoir?

David Oates

NAXJA Forum User
I need a coolant reservoir. This is for my '87, 4.0L. You know, the one with the closed cooling system. The reservoir sits up next to the passenger side firewall and is held on with a big rubber retaining strap. The OE lasted over 200K miles before I replaced. It was still working, but I could see cracks developing. So, the new one only lasted about 10k miles and now it has a small crack which appears to be at the mold seam on the ridge that the rubber strap goes over. Anyway, I'm going to replace it again, but it seems to me that I saw them for sale somewhere other than the dealership. Does anyone know of a source other than the Jeep dealership?

When you get that new bottle, pad the shelf with a split chunk of radiator hose. Don't overtighten the cap either since it seems to split the gasket and promote cooling problems...

I went to the local "u-pull-it" and found a similar bottle in a small Mopar sedan. It is in the same location as in the XJ and altho a different shape, it is about the same size. The difference is that it is made of HEAVY plastic and has a REAL radiator cap on it. It also has an overflow hose above the
pressure seal on the cap, so if you overheat, it will releive the pressure and not blow up the bottle.
Install was a snap....remove the XJ bottle and the bracket that holds it in place (2 bolts). Set the new bottle in place and drill two holes for the bolts to hold it in......plumb it up to the original XJ water lines and you are good to go. Ben six months with no overheat and no leaks...........

Back