• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shaft

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
I just read in the latest issue of Off-Road Adventures where they were installing a lift kit on a Ford F-150. They said that the front driveshaft needed to be re-indexed. In stock form the driveshaft yokes are located at 90* and need to be relocated so that they are in line to reduce vibrations. Has this been tried on the XJ front driveshaft? Could it possabily make a difference? They say to simply pull the driveshaft appart at the slip yoke and grind off the locater on the splines to allow for the rotation. What do you think?

Neil

what i think they were talking about was re-indexing the transfer case, this is basically rotating the transfercase so that the front output yoke "hangs" down farther below the truck then it did in stock form, which in turn would make a less extreme angle in which the driveshaft would have to work at

cherokeepimpin said:
what i think they were talking about was re-indexing the transfer case, this is basically rotating the transfercase so that the front output yoke "hangs" down farther below the truck then it did in stock form, which in turn would make a less extreme angle in which the driveshaft would have to work at

No, they were talking about the driveshaft. Rotating one end of the driveshaft so the yokes are in line with eachother instead of 90* from eachother. No modifications were done to the transfer case location.

In some situations doing that can reduce vibration but it's just a bandaid for a situation that calls for a more expensive alternative to be done correctly

TNTOFFROAD85CJ said:
In some situations doing that can reduce vibration but it's just a bandaid for a situation that calls for a more expensive alternative to be done correctly

I don't understand how it's a bandaid if it elimanates the vibes. Does it reduce the life of the joints? I know that rotating the diff housing will reduce the angles, but if this works why not?

I dunno. Call six states, high angle driveline, and Tom Woods. Maybe they will have some free answers. I read the same article and was like... huh? Actually, I'm like that most of the time.

Jared:patriot:

Back