• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing my Ax-15... something amiss?

I'm not sure about your AX15, but when I did the AW4 on my '91, I had a similar problem. Don't know if this will help you, but check for a bolt on the pass side of the bellhousing that holds the top inspection plate (metal shield around the engine side of the bellhousing). If you didn't remove this bolt (provided its even there on a manual setup) the tranny will only slide back about 1/2" because the top inspection plate is attached to both the motor and the bellhousing.

HTH,

SimpleXJ

This may be a little obvious, but did you disconnect the CPS located on the top of the bell housing? I did the same thing on my 90. I got lucky and didnt destroy before I realized what I was doing. Other than that, I cant think of anything else.

90red

If all the bolts are out, maybe it's in a spline-bind... Try adjusting the tilt of the engine & tranny to more closely match the angles?

woody said:
If all the bolts are out, maybe it's in a spline-bind... Try adjusting the tilt of the engine & tranny to more closely match the angles?

I'm with Woody on this one: if it's rotating around I assume you have it just hanging there which puts it on "cooked" on the shaft and makes pulling it out a PITA. Raise the rear of it up bit by bit as your tugging on it.

Starter?
CPS?
make sure you have all bolts pulled.

Make sure you have plenty of clearance and pulling striaght back.

did you already remove the torque converter off the flywheel?

OK most of you guys are missing the fact that he said that he can rotate it all the way around. This means all bolts are gone as well as any wiring!

if its the first time its been removed, it may just simply be stuck. mine was just like yours. i tied a rope to it and had my brother pull from behind the jeep while i wiggled and turned it etc. popped right out. also, maybe this is a little naive, but is the shifter off (i know you said it can rotate, but maybe with the shifter it can rotate enough to trick you?)
dan f.

disclaimer: be very careful when you do this. if it suddenly falls off and onto you i think you will be very displeased. also, make sure that when you pull on it you don't rip off something you thought was disconnected. good luck

The AX15 is an evil bear to remove the first time. A simple point to remember:
back and down, forward and up.

When you pull the tranny backwards, it needs to go down at the same time. Not going down with cause the engine to want to go up. Theres a fine line somewhere in the middle that works, but it still wants to bind as you remove.

Same for install, only reverse. When you go forward, it has to go up.

And when you get really frustrated and are bleeding alot, you`ll notice that the tranny is hitting the floor area...bad memories.

I swore for 3 days with mine. I got it back together, but if I had a match, I would have burnt it right there.

wilson0309 said:
did you already remove the torque converter off the flywheel?

Umm, I'd bet that this AX-15 MANUAL transmission came from the factory with it's torque converter mysteriously missing...

Kejtar said:
OK most of you guys are missing the fact that he said that he can rotate it all the way around. This means all bolts are gone as well as any wiring!

There simply isn't room while the engine is still in the rig to rotate the trans 360 degrees. He apparently just means that you can rotate it a bit side to side indicating that at least the bolts are out.

Of course, make sure the hydraulic clutch line is disconnected. The dust shield needs to be unbolted all the way around. Yes, check the CPS. It's on the upper driver's side of the bellhousing almost against the engine. These guys pretty much have you covered with good ideas. I put a tie down across the "frame" to keep me from getting mashed by the trans if it fell.

Good luck,
Jared:patriot:

Ed in North Ga. said:
The AX15 is an evil bear to remove the first time..

And when you get really frustrated and are bleeding alot...

I swore for 3 days with mine. I got it back together, but if I had a match, I would have burnt it right there.

Amen brother! I had to install mine 3 TIMES IN 3 DAYS! I got something wrong in the new clutch assembly the first time, casuing the 2nd install. I left an internal bolt out on the 2nd install, leaving a hole straight into the oil... don't ask. 3rd install, I was a pro. Did it alone during a power outage in a dark garage!

Back