• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BF Goodrich MT's

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
How good are these tires? Are they relatively quiet on road, decent wet/snow traction? How good off-road? Anyone have any experience with them? Will 30x9.50's rub on a stock XJ? I know some brands will at full lock but I haven't heard anything about these rubbing.
Thanks
Mike Harris

One of my Buddies here in our local Jeep Club is selling me a set of (5) 32" 11.50's BFG"s MT mounted on 15" rockcrawler wheels, I will be putting them on my '94 XJ with the RE 3.5 SuperRide lift, along with Skyjacker shocks all around.

I was told from him that he likes them very much, except in snow, and when they are wet on rocks etc..they are a very good mud tire, he says, and they last a long time (he has experiance with the MT's), as for ride and sound, well that is not thier stong point, however its a Jeep, not a Caddy, so noise is to be expected I guess.....lol

If the BFG's MT were siped?? they would be much better in the rain and snow, this is what I have been hearing from the people I have been talking to!!

Jeff

They are really good tires. I have 35's on my daily driver, and 33's on my weekend warrior. I have been really happy with them. They perform like any mud tire in show, they tend to slide due to the lack of siping.

Fairly quite and longer lasting than most.

The BFG MTs are an Excellent all-around tire. I'm on my fourth full set of BFGs on my XJ.
The first were the ATs in 30x9.50 at stock height. They were a great DD tire, but they are not a mud tire (and I love mud). The next two sets were the MTs in the same size, 30x9.50 - and the rig was still my DD. They work beautifully as an all-around tire. They dig and self-clean well in mud, they grab on rocks, they float relatively well in sand as long as they are aired down real well, they pull well through snow and grip reasonably well on ice, and they give good on-road traction wet and dry for a long time (I got more than 45k out of every set of mine - one got 55k). Now I'm running a set of 33x10.50s and they've been great.
Now that I trailer my rig to most trails and she only sees occasional road-duty, my next set of tires will be Swampers. But that's just because I love the mud!
There are tires that will outperform the BFGs in any of these areas - but I've yet to see any tire that does a better all-around job than the BFG MT. They blow away MTRs in the mud, by the way.
Oh yea - the 30x9.50s will rub the stock lower control arms at full lock - but not bad enough to damage either the tires or the control arms.
Enjoy.

tireroastin93XJ said:
Will 30x9.50's rub on a stock XJ? I know some brands will at full lock but I haven't heard anything about these rubbing.
Thanks
Mike Harris

I ran 30x9.50 BFG MTs on my stock 98...I'd recommend it, but you'll probably have to do a little creative trimming of the flares. I honestly can't remember if I adjusted the steering at that point or not, so I'm not much help there.

Pat

tireroastin93XJ said:
Thanks guys! Now I just have to decide on 30x9.50's or 235/75 15's. I will be doing a 3" lift in the future, just not sure when.
Mike

I wouldn't waste the small difference on the 235s. Go with the 30s - they'll fit with only minor non-problematic rubbing and they'll look and work better once you do get your lift (and until you have to go bigger!).
Like I said - I ran three sets of BFGs that size and never regretted it (just always wanted to go bigger, not smaller).

I ran 30x9.5's on my stock 2000 and didn't have a problem with rubbing or steering stops. I am currently running Brigdestone Dueler MT's and love them. They are quieter than the Perilli Scorpion AT's I was running. They wear great and are awesome in the wet. Just my .02

Urban Redneck said:
I ran 30x9.5's on my stock 2000 and didn't have a problem with rubbing or steering stops. I am currently running Brigdestone Dueler MT's and love them. They are quieter than the Perilli Scorpion AT's I was running. They wear great and are awesome in the wet. Just my .02
That's the other brand I was considering. Now I know I will go with 30x9.50s!

Mike

Back