• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Question about lockout hubs

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
I'm a little paranoid now after having a blown hub on the d44 and then having my bearings seize and having to replace everything. Is it normal for the spindle (I think its the spindle - the outer part sticking out between the wheel that the lockout is connected to) to be warm after driving awhile? When i first noticed I had a problem they were too hot to touch. Today when I got home both sides (old and new) were pretty warm, but certainly not hot.

Thanks

When hubs are hot it's can be a sign that the bearing preload is to much or that the load is to great. But......your warm to the touch will be different than mine. IF you are sure you adjusted the bearing preload correctly, than a little paranoid is at work, normal reaction as I was that way for years after loosing a bearing on my trailer.

Sorry not much help, but I can't feel your hubs over the net to give you a better opinion.

Tom

the bearings in the hubs really shouldn't heat up much at all, but brakes heat up a ton, and that heat will tranfer to everything around it. were you doing much braking? coming down a long hill? maybe a dragging caliper? ... otherwise, check how tight you have the bearing tightened down.

Warm is no big deal. bearings that are too loose will cause heat too. Just run them up really tight to make sure the bearings and races are seated, back them off and torque to factory specs. I usually go snug and then about a quarter turn past.

Dan

Cool. Thx.

As far as braking, just the daily commute grind, but had been at freeway speeds for 1/2 hour.

Back