• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build up using all Jeep parts?

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I want to start building up my 96 XJ this summer, and I got to thinking... Instead of slapping on a bunch of aftermarket parts, wouldn't it be neat to stick with only Jeep parts.

My 96 has the 4.0 and auto trans, with NP 231 and 8.25 rear, non-abs. 3.54:1 gears.

I've sourced a low miles MJ D44 rear axle with 4.10 gears and track lock, and a 97 low miles D30 with 4.10 gears.

Tow hooks, brake line extensions (YJ), tow hitch, and skid plates will all be from Jeep.

Next year may bring a stroked engine, using 258 parts. Steering and brakes may be beefed by using WJ knuckles and rotors next year.

Sorry, but I'm not dropping the money for a set of locking D44's and a NVG241OR t-case. Just too much dough.

Tires will be 30". Lift will come from mixing upcountry leaves, MJ shackles, ZJ or upcountry coils, and maybe a small coil spacer.

This will be a camping/light offroading vehicle.

Any other ideas?

Geoff

Sounds good to me. Sort of making it into what DaimlerChrysler should have built from the outset.

looks like a good shopping list... just to make sure you are aware of this though i will point out that the MJ is a SPRING-UNDER axle and the XJ is a SPRING-OVER..... to use this in your XJ the mounts will need to be changed. ease job but sometimes the little stuff is over looked... let us know how it all works out....

mike

Back