• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 XJ: Converting from CV axles to U joint

Rabenius2001

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 XJ with a Dana 30 front axle that has CV AXLES rather than standard U joint axles.

MY QUESTION:

Can I just replace my CV axle assemblies with a set from a 96 and later standard U joint axle assembly?

Can I re use my knuckles?

Is the carrier the same?

HELP!

John Rabenius

Wow, your 88 has those? I had an 84 that had them, but I didn't think they just them on and off for so long. Perhaps your front axle has been swapped from an 84-85 XJ?

Well, your axle shafts can be swapped out with normal u-joint shafts. You have a Vac Disco axle, right? So you will need a disconnect block off kit and seal if you want to use non disco shafts.

Everything is the same.

Thanks, Bottleworks.

The XJ is actually my neighbors up the street. He just bought it and put a set of 31" BFG Mud terrains on it this weekend. He was saying that he is hearing a click - click - click . . . noise when he turns, and it is comming from the front end. I looked at it, and he has the CV front axles.

I don't know if it's original or not.

I have a set of 96 non-disconnect axles I am going to sell him. Just wanted to know if they fit before I offer them to him.

just make sure to use his bearing hubs.

if the axle is a disco (very unlikely w/ the CV shafts) the new ones will still work, but it will require modification and installation of an oil seal on the passenger side of the pumpkin

CheapXJ said:
if the axle is a disco (very unlikely w/ the CV shafts)

Why do you say this? i have one in my shop now and had one b4 that was disconnect and cv shafts.

I've only ever seen one disconnect D30 w/ CV axles.

considering it's an 88, I doubt it's the original axle to begin with (if it's low pinion, it's from a ZJ)

When I had my 84 XJ, it was a D30 CV joint style Vac disco.

so, whats the answer...

I too have a cherokee with the cv joints and disconect...

and would like to replace the axles with normal ones..

is it a direct replacement or not? or do I need to reread the posts again..:D

RINGKONG said:
so, whats the answer...

is it a direct replacement or not? or do I need to reread the posts again..:D

Yes. it is a direct swap. But, if you use non disco shafts, you need a Warn(?) vac disco cover and seal.

Back