• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hoses

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
Part I: I was working on my 95 Sport the other day and noticed a rubber hose dangling at the bottom of the engine compartment. I traced it back and found the other end connected to the top of the transmission (no hose clamp there, just slid on nipple). The loose end has a section of angled metal tubing and a mounting bracket with a rather large mounting hole in it. Can someone tell me what this hose is for (I'm assuming it's for drainage/air) and where this loose end mounts? I couldn't find where it would go.

Part II: While underneath my XJ, I noticed tubing from the front differential running to the engine compartment. It had a big hole in it from where it rubbed against the front driveshaft. Is this for drainage? Or is it a vacuum hose of some sort? Would a hole in the tubing have caused damage to the front differential at all, or should I change the fluid because of this?

Thanks for all your help!!!
Matt

PartI - the tranny Ventline -- often found mounted to the firewall...

PartII - the front diff vent line -- should also run up to the firewall (without the holes). generally speaking a short vent is OK if you haven't splashed in anything (both vents mount high-up because of the Jeeps water-depth fording rating) --- If it's been a while since you've changed your front diff lube, it's cheap insurance... I'd wanna look at the fluid (before and after running it) to look for foaming and/or contamination, but for the price aof a few quarts of 75w90 gear oil you can have new lube and not have to worry about either....

Back