• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly replacement

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am wonering about how many miles usually this goes out? I read a write up on it and it doessn't seem bad at all. It also said newer d30s, like my 2000 use non-serviceable bearings so they must be replaced. Can anyone tell what these cost?

Also if I were to get Warn hubs and shafts, would they replace the bearings and hub assembly with stronger stuff or no?

The XJ (all years, both 2 and 4 wd) uses a hub assy that is intended to be "sealed for life".

With good care (not too much river fording, mudding, etc.), these hubs will last well over 100K miles, usually.

There is no "scheduled time" to replace them, so most owners just wait until one starts growling before they replace it. Replacements are easily had, and, depending on source, start at about $100 or so.

I cannot say if the Warn stuff is any stronger, but it's pretty rare for a hub to fail due to being overstressed. The biggest killer of hubs is dragging them through mud, and not getting the mud washed out of them, thereby contaminating the grease that lubes the bearings.

Not being picky, but 2WD's have a 1 pc rotor that mounts on the spindle with inner and outer bearings, with the races pressed into the rotor "hat". Those you can tear apart and service, unlike the 4WD "sealed for life" unit bearing.
Jeff

AZ Jeff said:
The XJ (all years, both 2 and 4 wd) uses a hub assy that is intended to be "sealed for life".

With good care (not too much river fording, mudding, etc.), these hubs will last well over 100K miles, usually.

There is no "scheduled time" to replace them, so most owners just wait until one starts growling before they replace it. Replacements are easily had, and, depending on source, start at about $100 or so.

Thanks for the info.

So they start at $100 apiece?

What kinda growling are we talking about? (If I don't know I guess I am safe)

If I were to get Warn hubs and shafts, they would also come with new inner hub/bearings? I always thought you just get the outter lockable hub on the outside or is that part of it?

Thanks again.

can someone point me to a write up on this. when i was getting my gears installed they told me one of my hubs had play in it and it was going out. anyway to check htis? also what am i looking at to replace them $ wise? when ever i come to a stop i hear a clunking sound sometimes, and usually when i reverse and stop also.

jeepguy97 said:
Grab the wheel at 3 o clock and 9 o clock and give er a shake......Play=Replace bearing.
i must be retarded but i dont get what your saying. i assume jack it up and leave it in park? both wheels of ground?

Ramsey said:
i must be retarded but i dont get what your saying. i assume jack it up and leave it in park? both wheels of ground?
Grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock isn't a good test. That allows the wheel to turn on the ball joints, and any slop or free play in any of the tie rod ends or steering linkage will show up.

Jack up the wheel you want to check, grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock, and try to shake it. There should be zero free play. If you detect slop, then you have to check more carefully to see if the slop is in the hub or in the ball joints.

There is no way to predict when a hub will fail. My '88 XJ currently has 245,500 miles on the odometer. One front hub has been replaced twice -- the other is still the original factory part.

thanks eagle i will do that first thing tomorrow. whats the going rate on balljoints and hubs, are they hard to change?

I have a bill on my desk for all 4 ball joints from Auto Value (small town, only parts place) $61.22. If you are going to do ball joints go rent the tool. BTW if you are changing a hub you are over 1/2 way to a ball joint change as the hub needs to come out to do it. (well, it can be done without removing the hub but you have to take the tie rod off the knuckle to do it.) The fsm says to take the axle and hub out, remove the tierod end, remove the hub, R&R the ball joints and reassemble. I think it can be done if one leaves the tie rod end on the knuckle if you are careful.
hth
asat

I have my 96 xj sport has 130k on it. right hub replaced at 120K left replaced at 115K and 130K you never know how long they will last. the one that i had to replace the second time was shot. took whell off, brakes off, took out the 3 retaining bolts and removed the hub nut. the hub part pulled right out other the part that bolts to the knuckle. they were both timkin but made th warrenty by 1 month. so no harm other the a messed up tire.

skog

I've got 193K on my factory hub assemblies and will be replacing them tomorrow, I've been hearing a little growl from them lately and since I'll be swapping in 760 jointed shafts tomorrow, figured it's time......and I had nothing better to do with that $200............

Back