• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Cable Actuator to engage 4wd??

Well, yes, he could buy it for $200, but I think he was looking for something that he could rig up himself. And please turn off your caps lock.

there use to be a write up on cherokee america. but I can not find it.

Drilled and tapped the housing for 1/4" NPT fitting, attached 3/8 PTO cable using a 3/8 by 1/4 ferrule fitting. Drilled the fork for cable (3/32, IIRC) and placed a LOCKTITED cable stop on each side. Locktite to prevent cable stops from coming loose and going for a swim in 80W90! Works great.

Run the cable into the interior along the UCA, this will allow it to flex with the axle and prevent stretching/binding, etc.

Posi_Lock_version_2.jpg

Posi_Lock_version_2_installed.jpg

I don't think that one would hold up real well. You running it? Seems like an awful lot of band-aiding.

myjeepsbigger said:
I don't think that one would hold up real well. You running it? Seems like an awful lot of band-aiding.
Nope, it's a drawing I lifted from someone else. He said that he had been using it for a while. It was actually the first one that I saw on making the manual, cable actuated disconnect. I've seen several that I like better - I just presented it as another option. I guess I should have mentioned that I had no first hand info on its actual operation.

Man, don't beat yourself up over it...it's only the internet! :wave1:

Back