• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 spline

tnxjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
How do you know what spline is in your axle? I have a 97 XJ with a 8.25 rear. I know that the 29 spline is stronger than the 27 spline, but I don't know how to tell which one I have. I am wondering cause I was looking at lockers and I saw that they had them listed for a pre 97 with a 27 spline, and a post 97 with a 29 spline.

you most likely have the 29 spline if its a 97

tnxjjeeper said:
How do you know what spline is in your axle? I have a 97 XJ with a 8.25 rear. I know that the 29 spline is stronger than the 27 spline, but I don't know how to tell which one I have. I am wondering cause I was looking at lockers and I saw that they had them listed for a pre 97 with a 27 spline, and a post 97 with a 29 spline.

If the axle wasn't swapped out, you would have a 29 spline from the factory. Your locker options are lock-rite, no-slip, arb & detroit.

They don't make lock-rites for the 29 spline that I know of. Only the no slip, detroit, and arb

tnxjjeeper said:
Is my assumption correct that the 29 is stronger than the 27? I heard it was, but I am just making sure.

Yes, whenever you go up in spline count you will get app 11% strength increase I have read in 1 of my 4x4 books. This gives you more contact between your axles and your diff. 29 spline in the 97 and newer 8.25, modern dana 44 has 30, ford 8.8 has 31 as well as the late 70's ford 9", dana 60 had 30, but you could find 35 spline. Currie Ent. has a 35 or even 40 spline option for the ford 9". Again the larger your ring gear & spline count the stonger your axle will be. These along with the housing and other things are what makes an axle strong and desireable of weak and undesireable.

tnxjjeeper said:
Is my assumption correct that the 29 is stronger than the 27? I heard it was, but I am just making sure.

The measured diameter of the shafts across the splines is 1.190" for the 27 spline vs. 1.277" for the 29 spline; a definite increase in size and therefore strength (all things being equal). These measurements are taken from the couplers of a No-Slip that I received that had one of each instead of the pair of 29's I required.

I really am happy with the No-Slip in my 2001 so far; quiet operation & GREAT traction! Wish I'd gone to a locker long ago instead of putting up with a Trac-Loc that only worked when it wanted to...

How does the 29 spline 8.25 compare to a stock dana 35 off a 2000 XJ? My friend was talkin crap when I got mine about how his is 10 times stronger and is the best axle you can get under a Cherokee since the dana 44's.

The 8.25 29 spline is comparable in strength to the dana 44 rear that came in the older cherokees. The dana 35, well lets just say they are really good boat anchors.----Kyle

tnxjjeeper said:
How does the 29 spline 8.25 compare to a stock dana 35 off a 2000 XJ? My friend was talkin crap when I got mine about how his is 10 times stronger and is the best axle you can get under a Cherokee since the dana 44's.

The 29 spline 8.25 is closer to the strength of a D44 than a D35. It has a far larger ring & pinion than a D35 (and the pinion is a lot bigger than a D44), and the housing is a larger (a major apparent weakness of the d35 is housing flex). The axle shafts in 29 spline form are not as strong as a 44, but much stronger than a D35 (closer to the 44 than the 35 in load rating, I believe).

Having said this, the 8.25 is a fairly heavy axle with poor ground clearance for its strength. It is a c-clip design, the drum brakes just plain suck, and it is prone to heavy gear noise when you install lower gears, especially 4.56. It also has a low pinion that is prone to excessive amounts of rock rash.

All in all, the 8.25 is only a decent axle because it comes stock and isn't the POS D35. It may look like gold compared to a D35, which would be true of almost any rear axle, but it is largely a turd, too. You'd never choose to build one if it wasn't already under your Jeep.

Why Jeep can't put out an axle like the Toyota 8", which has the strength of a D44 with the clearance of a D35, is beyond me, because that is the ideal solution for vehicles claiming to be offroad kings. I'm honestly still suprised that the 8" hasn't become a hot Jeep swap since late model Taco and 4Runner axles are 60" WMS to WMS (same as XJ), and you can run 35's on them with D35 clearance. They have huge 12.1" drums, can be found with factory 4.56 gears and electric locker for $600, and have the advantage of 3rd member design if you want to change gears/diffs. Must be that little bolt pattern issue (6 on 5.5).

Nay

I told the guy he didn't know what he was talking about. He use to have a 2wd Xj that he tried to wheel with us, but he only tried that once before he got a 2000 4wd Xj. He talks all kinds of crap and doesn't know anything. BTW, does anyone know what gears come in this axle stock?

Auto will have 3.55s and standard will have 3.07s most likely

Back