• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid plates.

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I have been doing a bit of wheeling up here in Maine, and I have come to the conclusion that I need skid plates. Especially for my tranfer case and gas tank. Now, I could just go out and by them, but where is the fun in that?
Anyone out there make their own? Any tips to share? What about dimensions and methods?

I just finished the T case skid for my '99. I used 1/4" Stainless plate, 24" X 12". I had a 1" Z bend offset put in with a press break so it would mount to and follow the crossmember to the frame rails where I used four 1/4" self tappers. On the other side I bent another 1/4" X 2" X 24" piece of stainless to mount on the frame rail, go up to the floor, under the cat, and down to the skid.
Needless to say, 1/4" stainless is extremely tough and probably overkill but hey, nothing exceeds like excess, right?

Back