• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper

ladywolf

UH-60L Jeep Chick
anyone know of a good place to get a rear bumper w/ a tire mount on it? I want the one from Warn, but the bumper year only goes up to 96, unless the rearend design on XJ's havent changed from 96 to 99. I dont think they have, does anyone know?

thanks,
Kristen

I've been looking for new bumpers too and I've found most companies do list a difference in the setup from 96-97; I can't comment beyond that. As for where to go I'm looking at front bumpers from BPI and a rear bumbper w/ tire carrier from custom 4x4 fabrication. Hope this is helpful.

The issue with the 97+ years are the bumper end caps, both front and rear. On the front if you want more tire clearance you go with 96 and older even on a 97 and newer. On the rear tomken makes a rear bumper w/2" receiver built in and has a tire carrier option. I have seen a couple on XJ's and two ZJ's, not impressed with the finish but then I'm not a fan of powder coating on alot of things. The plus side is the pricing. Custom4x4 is also pretty nice from the pics, not seen one yet and their pricing is also a good $ per $ value. Bullet proof is the most expensive and has many bells and whistles but you are looking at around a $grand for bumper, carrier, shackles, receiver and a bunch of other stuff thats avail.

I have had a Custom 4X4 rear bumper for over 2 years and just installed the tire carrier last Saturday. These parts from C4X4 are extremely strong, well built and look great. Everything fit perfectly and the tire carrier has tapered bearings with seals and a great latch system that is so tight that I can't imagine that it will ever rattle. The tire carrier also came with a reinforcement plate that ties the bumper into the two back holes that the hitch bolts onto. I think that they build to order so don't expect to get things really fast. It took 3 weeks for my tire carrier to arrive but that's exactly how long they told me it would take. I plan on buying their front winch bumper and rock rails in the future.

sj

Not only do they have end caps, the hatch is ~4" wider than the older style, which means the hatch won't open if the bumper is built for a pre-97. Also, the housing for the liscense plate light and the rear wiper sticks out from the hatch and can cause interference with impropoerly built tire carriers.

My BPI:

4wheelin_2003-11_001.jpg

4wheelin_2003-11_027.jpg

is BPI bullet proof mfg or someone else? I'm not looking forwards to spending upwards of a grand on both front and rear bumpers. Would love to get the stuff shipped to Germany, because I'm stationed there, but that would be WAY too expensive, so i spose everything will get shipped to my folks' house in WA. I like the looks of those bumpers tho. Gimme prices or a web page to view, and i'll think about it. thanks guys.

Kristen

Thanks for the web pages! I sent BPI an email.

Kristen

Back