• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's going on???

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
A comment was made that the Colorado board has been dead. I figure everybody has been working on their rigs in anticipation of getting rid of some snow. Lets do a checkin on peoples status.

Let us hear what you've been working on and when/where would you like to run some trails.

old_man said:
A comment was made that the Colorado board has been dead. I figure everybody has been working on their rigs in anticipation of getting rid of some snow. Lets do a checkin on peoples status.

Let us hear what you've been working on and when/where would you like to run some trails.

thats kind of the long and short of it...waiting for the snow to melt, trails to open, and convicing my wife that a couple of thousand $$ worth of parts/mods would make everyone happier.....anyone know whats open right now?

I just finished swapping rubber bushings into my BIGOffroad 6" leaf springs. The poly was so tight that the metal bushing sleeves in my shackles were bent and the bushings totally destroyed. The rubber is giving new life to my kidneys.

Also ground down my RE 1.25" shackles. These have a half moon cut into them for more clearance at the back of the shackle box, but they actually make contact at the end point of the half moon, which makes no sense to me at all. So I ground them down to extend the half-moon another inch on the shackle to provide a major increase in rear shackle motion. Now it remains to be seen if those leafs will allow the extra motion, because so far they don't.

I'm thinking about a heim based hi-steer setup for my D44 front with flat top knuckles as I have a clunking TRE. Question is whether it will all clear the RE TJ brackets on my 44 with both the draglink and tierod on the upper arm. I'd love to redesign my front end into a mid-arm 3-link and start exploring four link setups for the rear suspension, but I'm not touching any of it and planning on hitting Moab at the end of April instead.

Oh, and of course there are all the new selectable lockers out there...waiting to see which one is a winner to replace my front True Trac. Love that baby with the 242 and rear Detroit in the snow, but need to be able to lock it up on the trail. It's just never done.

Let's Wheel!!!

Nay

removed interior/ ditched back seat/ built rack to hold storage containers where seat used to be / decided to keep spare laying in cargo area to keep weight low/built plattform across area with tie downs to hold misc.( coolers ,camping gear, ) made every thing out of 1 " 14 gauge , sure is nice to have a MIG . All so ditched front skid plate , 20 lbs gone. next is hit pull a part for e-brake assembly ,rod broke in handle.General clean up and maintance to follow. Plan is to have new rear 29 spline and arb before fall fling in MOAB. Thats it for now. jack

Current major project is a D44 sitting in family garage, need to cut/reweld the shock mounts higher. Any project volunteers on that one? I'm not a metalbeeyatch... Regear and locker will come when my wallet gets refilled.

Minor projects include finishing up a cupholder box in the rear that uses the a/c ducting to keep drinks cool for my girls. Tom (old_man) pointed out the wiremesh pencil holders from Target are the right size to hold most drinks, and GoJeep had a writeup on an aluminum a/c cupholder on his site. Mine is at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/cuphold.html

Still need to finish up the storage box I have in back as well. When I first built it I still had a 235/75R15 spare in the back, but now I want to add another box in that area. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/storage.html

Wiring up a relocated radio is my insane project of the month. Somehow I decided the CD gets wayyyy too hot located over the HVAC like it is, and that it would fit in the overhead console rather nicely. I need to run wiring up to that and fab a bracket to hold the receiver up above, while isolating the wires that *used to* run to the compass/thermometer up top in preparation for reinstalling that piece in the dash.
light_project.gif

Is that enough for now? Still looking for a job so I can afford some 33x10.50s that actually have tread on them...

i just finished my custom, permanent bike rack off the hatch... backup/work light... CB antenna... and a front & rear camera system (gotta finish all the wiring in the cab).

if all goes as planned, next i'll be swapping my D30 for a HP, re-gearing (finally), and adding a locker up front. there is a slight chance i may try to go up another inch while doing so.

plus i may try to modify my existing rock rails to beef them up for more rocker protection.

i'd like to have "phase 2" done in plenty of time to hit the trails frequently before the CO NAXJA trip in august.

I'm trying like mad to get my rig ready for EJS. The four link front is built, both axles are stripped awaiting the 5.38's and Detroits. The hydro steering goodies should arrive late this week. And, I only have 9 working days to finish and tune the rig.

-Jon

Nothing here.I was planning on having my '88s left over parts swapped into my '98 with new lift and all. A conbination of day job work and limited new daily driver funds have left me looking forward to the build up at the end of next month.

After wheeling my stock TJ I have been re-thinking the lift on my '98. I was planning on going with 10" of lift like on my old rig, but I feel like 35s and 10" of lift may not be the best way to go. I'm thinking 5.5" RE with 33s, ARBs, and good skid plates/rock rails will get me almost everywhere I need/want to go. But I still have those 5 brand new 35s sitting here...

I just finished installing a D44 with a Dertoit Locker, put in a trutrac up front (got the trutrac from a friend real cheap, EJS will tell me if I need to pony up the dough for the ARB I've been dreaming about). Regeared to 4.56, swapped out the p.o.s. Rough Country 4.5" spings for some new 4.5" R.E. and some 2" Tera shackles, 2" spacers up front, and new Currie steering.

Been working with the BLM and some other local wheelers to open a ne trail in the area. We spent around 40 hours building a killer hard core trail, It's not open yet, (waiting for the BLM to install a couple of monitoring stations) but we spent monday out "building the trail". The new trail will be called Billings Canyon and is located just north of Bangs Canyon in the Colorado Natn'l Monument. If anyone wants to hit this new trail, it should be open by the end of spring.....we hope

Well we moved my,Joey and Jeffs garage to a t-hanger so our wives may allow us to live through the summer. I am closing on a house tomorow, that will have me booked up for a while not to mention broke! At least the jeep is running!!
Led

Double Post->other thread....Let's see, been to Atlanta, new York and New Orleans in the last 2 weeks, replaced my alternator(sucked!!!!!) took my midterms for Unix classes, got my SYE and new driveshaft to my front door finally, went to full time on the auxillary fan, rotated the rubbers, replaced a blown rear seal.....so been a bit busy getting ready for a long hot summer wheelin......

david.

almost forgot.....need to do some custom fender work(i.e. trimming for 33's) in the next couple of weekends, I know johnjohn said he needed the same. anybody up for a sheetmetal party?

Back