• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need confirmation on u-joint size

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
I found a late 80's XJ with ABS and non-disco front axle at the Pick n' Pull today. Does this have the 297 (larger) u-joints? From what I've searched, the answer should be yes, but I just wanted to make sure before I buy them. Just in case I'm right, I already pulled them and hid them in the back of another car so that I can go back tomorrow on 1/2 price day and get them. :yelclap:

Capt. Nemo said:
I found a late 80's XJ with ABS and non-disco front axle at the Pick n' Pull today. Does this have the 297 (larger) u-joints? From what I've searched, the answer should be yes, but I just wanted to make sure before I buy them. Just in case I'm right, I already pulled them and hid them in the back of another car so that I can go back tomorrow on 1/2 price day and get them. :yelclap:

I am too much of a rookie, I guess to quite understand your full post. But,....I have an 89 XJ, no ABS, Dana 30 front and it does/did not have the 297 U joints. I found this out by ordering the "correct" Warn hub conversion for that year, and also having the shop order a one piece right side inner axle so I could get rid of the two piece and vacuum system. Anyway, no one makes an inner shaft with the smaller u joints, they all have the larger 297's, so I had a mis-match in U joints. I had to return my Warn kit and get one for the newer XJ's so it would have the larger U's.
Don't know if this helped.
Ron

What do I measure? The cap diameter? If so, what measurement am I looking for? By "usually", I assume that there are some with and some without? Are there markings on the u-joint itself that I could look for to make sure I'm getting the right thing?

I would interpret "usually" to mean that the consensus here on the board is that anything with ABS had 297's but that he's not had first-hand experience to back it up with; and neither have I.

Capt. Nemo said:
What do I measure? The cap diameter? If so, what measurement am I looking for? By "usually", I assume that there are some with and some without? Are there markings on the u-joint itself that I could look for to make sure I'm getting the right thing?
i said usually...because it always seems there are always exceptions found in XJ's throughout the years.

i also have a question about my u-joint size. I have a 96 sport 4.0 w/o abs. I went to auto zone and got the joint and it was too small. i go to both local places then they also give me the same size small one. does this mean that i have the 297 also? and should ask for the ABS style next time?

skog

Thanks. I guess I'll just measure them. I have the non-disco front without ABS, so I'll know right away tomorrow if there's a difference. I'm really hoping that they're bigger since it's 1/2 price day at the PnP.

Got the shafts today. As 88xjwheeler said, the caps measured 1 3/16" across on the u-joints. I also measured some other caps from other XJ's and they were noticably smaller. They were around 1 1/16" across. So I got both sides, inners and outters with 297 joints for just under $30. Gotta love half price day...

5725.jpg

Back