• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 "tune-up"/ maintenance

TJS93xj

NAXJA Forum User
Will be pulling the engine out of the '93 in the next couple weeks to rebuild/stroke and was wondering what, if anything, I should do to the tranny while it's out and on the floor? The xj has 200k miles, is lifted 7+", locked front and rear, add on tranny cooler, first gear lock out mod, etc. etc..

Ive had no problems with the tranny thus far but with 200k miles and god only knows how many hours of trail time I'm wondering how many miles it can have left in it before a rebuild is inevitable.

Is there anything I can do while its out like adjusting/tightening the bands etc. (other than a fluid and filter change) that might help it go another 200k? I don't have alot of experience on the insides of auto's but figure if I can overhaul jet engines for a living I should be able to handle anything that needs doing.

How many miles can one really expect an auto tranny to go these days? I remember when going 100k on an engine or tranny without a rebuild was lucky.

When the time does come what does a typical rebuild run $ wise for the AW-4?

Thanks for any ideas,

Tim

aw-4 band is non-adjustable.....

If you are a good wrench, and are interested in re-building an aw-4 for the experience and enjoyment of it, go for it!

I've done two so far...

I buy my premium master rebuild kits with raybestos red-devil clutch packs for 200 bucks. Includes a rebuild kit for the upper and lower valve body halves.

if you decide to do it, give me a yell. I noticed a couple "mistakes" (vauge illustrations) in both the atsg and fsm....

I have corrected notes.

fax numbers please!

that will be the easiest way....

oh, and do remind me, cause I forget, so if you don't see them, feel free to yell and scream.

what you will get is my old copy of the original fax I sent to Anthony Dalton over seas.....IIRC he helped advise on some of the tech that went into some of the ATSG's, although not necessarily the aw-4. He's a wiz kid from waayyy back. When he saw the peculiarities between the fsm and the atsg, he agreed with me, and figured my corrected notes were accurate....

Back