• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weatherstripping Thickness

DannyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced my weatherstipping with the replacement part from JC Whitney. I still have a gap between the door and the rubber on the upper part of my driver's door. Looks like my door is warped. I think I heard that the weatherstipping on the newer cherokees is thicker. If this is true, I may be able to fix my problem. Does anyone know for sure? TIA

CHeck your hinges, see if they are worn and the door is sagging or maybe your door stop moved down and the door is not closing level.

Everything looks good with the hinges and the door being level. I had a wreck which involved barb wire getting in between my door and the body(long story). I am pretty sure that is what caused the gap. The weird part is when you look at the door from the outside everything looks fine and the door is not sticking out from the body. Do you know if that weatherstripping is any thicker or have any other ideas? Thanks :confused:

I can assure you that your door (or your body) is "tweaked" such that the interface between the door and the body is not within design spec.

The vehicle manufacturers normally design the weatherstrip to accomodate of range of gap between the door and the body. There is no such thing, thus, as 'extra thick' weatherstrip gaskets.

You need to start digging into what on the door is bent, rather than try to band-aid it with a thicker gasket.

Back