• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 xj's 1 good motor other bad and a '98 block? What to do?

Quizzoman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some advice on building 1 XJ from 3 motors. I don't have much money to work with on the project, but I do expect to spend some. I'm going to be doing most of the work with some friends.

1. Last week a guy gave me a 2 door '92 XJ. Can't get a better deal than that. It appears to run good, but the body is the catcher. It was rolled over at one point and the top is bent up a little impairing looks and stability. He used it ass an off-road beater by lifting it and taking the doors of and painting it green. Basically, this XJ holds a free engine and a 6inch Superlift.

2. I have access to a '91 or 92' 4 door XJ with a good body, but the engine is locked up. For $500-$600 I can get this jeep and swap the motors and the suspensioin on the jeeps making a nice, descent bodied XJ.

3. I also have access to a block out of a '98 XJ which is going for $500. I would have to remove it from the totalled jeep and then put it into the option #2 jeep.

I've got too many options of good deals it's hard to pick one. Since I've never swapped an engine in an XJ I don't know how much time and money for parts I'm looking at. If I were to put option 1 into option 2 then it would entail a basic engine swap, I think. Now if I were to put option 3 engine into option 2 then I would have to break down the motor and swap blocks, if that would work considering the different years. Unfortunatly, I do not have the space or the tools to do this, but I've got a friend with everything I need and he will help me if we can sum it up to a coulple of days. Otherwise I would spend my time rebuilding the engine from one, but not right now. Any feedback that anyone has would be great.
Thanks
Dan
~Jeeper for life

i would chop the top off 1 and just weld some heavey duty Cchannal under the frame rails. then run it as a traill rig. you can find another totaled jeep and get motor. heck just keep eyes open and might even get a free one. i have gotten a few taht way. get the other one and have a dd. that is what i would do.

Just swapped two Xj motors last week(selling the 2wd), it took me three days of leisure work to complete both Xjs- both running before and after. Just tag and mark all wiring from both sides of the engine and Buy a external torx socket set from auto zone for the upper rear bellhousing bolts. Don't forget the torque converter bolts! pull everything out in front of engine and carefully move the condenser and compressor out of the way. Just follow your FSM. :party:

Back