• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips and Tricks for the RE6130

evilpresence

NAXJA Member #983
This should be the last thread ever about Rubicon's RE6130. The install is on March 21st, and I want to do this the right way so got anything good post it.

I've found a few things that should be done on Yucca-Man's website, but anyone else who has installed this kit got anything special in thier sleeve.

From Yucca-Man's website...

Rearish
1. Do the rear first - so it is still driveable
2. PB Blaster (or SiliKroil)
3. Block the front wheels if the XJ is not completely on stands
4. Keep the original mounting bolts for the spring pack and shackles
5. Keep the swaybar mounts, as they can be used to relocate the shocks if desired
6. Use TALL jack stands
7. Remove the shackles while the leafs are still attached

Frontish
8. Remove shocks ASAP
9. Replace brake line early
10. 15mm box wrench for upper control arms
11. Installing the coils, tape the bumpstop about halfway up the coil and slide it in place

Also I'm installing the JB Conversions Super Short SYE. Besides JB's website does anyone have any tips for installing this.

The stock spring pack bolts may not be long enough if you need to use the rubi ones you need to drill out the spring perches so the larger head fits in the hole. On the front you also need to drill the track bar taper mount out so you will need a big drill can't remeber the size though. And yes spray the rear spring mounting bolts well on both sides and up in the bushing so they might come out.

Blasphemer! I didn't say anything about SiliKroil!!!
happyfinger.gif
Thanks for the mention; hopefully the lack of response means I covered it pretty well :spin1:

Consider having a shop install the rear shocks. Some, if not all, of the upper bolts to the rear shocks will probably break. Its probably enough of a pain in the @$$ to let someone else deal with it if they will quote you a flat rate for the install. I PBBlasted mine several times in the days before the install and still had all four break.

If you do them yourself and they break, finish the rest of the lift before worrying about the shocks. I had to drive my XJ without rear shocks for a while and it wasn't too bad. Also, don't bother using an easy out to remove the broken bolts - it will simply break and make drilling the bolts out that much more difficult.

I recommend knowing where your local specialty automotive fastener shop is and what its hours are. My RE 6130 was missing many of the bolts it was supposed to come with and several of the ones it did have didn't come with matching nuts.

-Brian

Yucca-Man said:
Blasphemer! I didn't say anything about SiliKroil!!!
happyfinger.gif
Thanks for the mention; hopefully the lack of response means I covered it pretty well :spin1:

No no, you didn't say anything about SiliKroil. In another thread someone mentioned SiliKroil over PB Blaster so that is why it is in parentheses. But yes, your write up is very nice and I plan on doing the samething while I am putting mine on.

BrianJr said:
Consider having a shop install the rear shocks. Some, if not all, of the upper bolts to the rear shocks will probably break. Its probably enough of a pain in the @$$ to let someone else deal with it if they will quote you a flat rate for the install. I PBBlasted mine several times in the days before the install and still had all four break.

There are two places that I have lined up to do it; one being at a shop that is currently closed but I have access to and then a buddies house of mine (who is about 5 minutes from the shop). I will keep this in mind though; will make a good trip to get lunch, I mean bolts.

BrianJr said:
I recommend knowing where your local specialty automotive fastener shop is and what its hours are. My RE 6130 was missing many of the bolts it was supposed to come with and several of the ones it did have didn't come with matching nuts.

I have checked all the packages and believe that all the bolts are there and I did put the bolts and nuts on each other. I'll check again this weekend before I go to work.

What year XJ is yours BrianJr? My is a '99 so my bolts should be too bad, right? I've been PBing for a while now, every Saturday for the last month or so.

Last edited:
BrianJr said:
Some, if not all, of the upper bolts to the rear shocks will probably break.
I just changed the shocks on my 92 for the first time with 187k on it.
What I did was of course start with the PB a week or more ahead of time, and then when I was ready to pull them I picked up a little propane torch at Advance auto (about $14)
Heated up the bolts a bit (dont get it totally red) and then hit with PB to cool it fast while hot.
Breaks the rust holding them on perfectly. No strain at all, they came off easily.

Brian - you're one of the first people I've heard that has gotten missing parts in an RE kit. You found all you needed eventually, I hope?

I ended up driving around with the stock rear shocks for a few weeks when I did my first 2" lift, the shocks barely made it past the mounts. Same went for the 4.5" lift because someone forgot to put anti-sieze on the bolts...

Evil - I know the thread you were talking about with the Silikroil, but had to find an excuse to use that smilie, dontcha know?

Yucca-Man said:
Brian - you're one of the first people I've heard that has gotten missing parts in an RE kit. You found all you needed eventually, I hope?

I ended up driving around with the stock rear shocks for a few weeks when I did my first 2" lift, the shocks barely made it past the mounts. Same went for the 4.5" lift because someone forgot to put anti-sieze on the bolts...

Evil - I know the thread you were talking about with the Silikroil, but had to find an excuse to use that smilie, dontcha know?

I figured you knew what I was talking about.

And hey... back to the top. There is so much talk about this lift, even if the install was clear cut, add that, just so myself and the rest of NAXJA know.

Eventually I ended up getting all of the major parts. I just bought the small stuff locally. I have often read on NAXJA that this sort of thing is rare from RE. However, it seems to be a very common problem with people in the local club I belong to. Everyone seems to have had their kits arrive with one wrong part, something missing, etc. The only thing that seems odd about my case, based on what other local people have told me, is that I had more than one thing messed up in my order.

I will say that everything in the kit seems to be great quality. Once I got everything that was supposed to be included the kit was very complete.

-Brian

Yucca-Man said:

BrianJr said:

THat'd be the reason why I'd say do them yourself as the shop will not be as careful while taking them off and might break them while you wouldn't..... Also question is how good their fix would be if they break?

Back