• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pump Question?

Jeepster4wd

NAXJA Forum User
i have a brand new motor and i installed a melling high volume oil pump. and I went to prime it with my drill and it was easy at first and then it got harder once it started to pump is this normal? its flowing oil cause i could see it alot of it in the lifter areas so it was defintly pumping thru any ideas.

When you first start the drill, you are pumping air. Air is a hell of a lot easier to pump than oil. Yes, this is normal. Carryon.

In my 88 XJ engine overhaul manual it says to fill the oil pump with petrolium Jelly and install. When you start the engine the petrolium jelly will pull a suction until oil can get up the pick up then you are fine.

If you don't get oil to pump then you will hvae to fill the crank case with 10, 15 or 20 quarts until the level of the oil in the pan is as high as the pump - you know fluid seeks it's own level - then you will have oil pressure. If you do this once you have pressure then you have to drain out all that oil and fill with the normal quantity of 6 quarts

Back