• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! My Jeep is clattering.

sullju

NAXJA Forum User
I just eliminated the DW and drove my Cherokee for the first time in about 3 months. The problem is it now sounds like a diesel. I changed the oil when I first bought it, added 6 quarts, but the oil pressure gauge is still sitting at about 0. It's an '89 Sport with the non-H.O. 4.0 and AW4. Could this be loose valves?

Justin

After sitting for 3 months the lifters are probably clogged with dried up oil and sluge. Might want to put some flush thru it or some synthetic motor oil. Just for future advice, when you are going to be storing a vehicle for more than a month you need to do a fresh oil and filter change before shutting it down. Also old gas can cause issues especially lately since back in dec.

I changed the oil 2 weeks before it sat for 3 months, sorry I should have mentioned that I bought the Jeep in September, and I added some injector cleaner to the tank. What exactly do you mean by "flush"? I'm running the Valvoline Max Life, do you think it would be wise to change the oil, oil filter, etc. again?

Justin

Well, when I was in the Navy, on submarines, we worked on a 120 day patrol cycle with two crews so most of the crews vehicles would go into storage for 3+ months at a clip. Our FTG chief had a farm outside groton and he would store the single guys cars for the whole time in his barn so they were covered and his kids would prep them a week before we got back. The prep included an oil change [this was also pre fuel injection days], reconnect the battery and charge it plus adding 5 gallons to the tank as they, the kids, would run them dry when they put them away. I was lucky with my customized dodge maxi-van, my parents would 'take care' of it which generally involved trips to florida, jersey shore, new england or anywhere else they wanted to go... They used to put more milage on it than I did...
It has been my experience that gas now a days will not store like it did 5 or more years ago, it seems to go bad alot faster. It used to be I could leave my wheel horse lawn tractor with a full tank when I moved it and the lawn mower to the back of the shed and moved the snow blower up front for the winter, the last few years it seems to 'turn bad' over that 4 or 5 month period and get a stinky varnishy smell to it. Same with the snow blower, now I run them dry and refill in the spring.
I would check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and see what the truth is..

Thanks for the tips. It has since starting acting right again. I guess the motor had to get broken in again. The oil pressure gauge is working again, but I'll probably be changing the fluids in the next week. Hopefully this will be the last time the Jeep has to sit again.

Justin

Well I guess I spoke too soon because it's back. The Jeep runs fine sitting in the drive way, but when I start putting my foot into her the oil pressure drops and the rattleing commenses. It's so loud that it like a Cummins. I'm pulling the valve cover off tommarrow and repalcing the gasket. Is there anything in particular that I should keep an eye out for? Thanks

Justin

run 1 quart of ATF and 5 quarts of 10w30 for about 500mi, then change.

if it gets rough when you put your foot into it, the knock sensor may be failing.

Back