• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Golden Spike Sunday April 4th

OT

NAXJA Forum User
Well after much thought, the Golden Spike seems like the best run for us to get together on. After checking the EJS schedule, the morning of Sunday the 4th seems like as good a day as any to run it. Tuesday and Wednesday are also non-EJS scheduled days. Let me know now what is a good day for y'all. I suppose any day would be alright, but it just seems that the off days would be best to avoid much congestion.

Okie Terry said:
Well after much thought, the Golden Spike seems like the best run for us to get together on. After checking the EJS schedule, the morning of Sunday the 4th seems like as good a day as any to run it. Tuesday and Wednesday are also non-EJS scheduled days. Let me know now what is a good day for y'all. I suppose any day would be alright, but it just seems that the off days would be best to avoid much congestion.

If you guys can run it the 4th (palm sunday) I know I can make it. Keep us in the loop. Thanks!

Jason A.

Sunday the 4th is best for me . . I start on tues with EJS trails.

PC-UT-XJ said:
Sunday the 4th is best for me . . I start on tues with EJS trails.
Well, that's a second. Sunday the 4th it is and we'll run Golden Spike. We can meet at a place TBD at 8:00am.

Now let's see who joins in.

Count me in as well. Mind if I bring a friend with a zj?

logdog said:
Count me in as well. Mind if I bring a friend with a zj?
All are welcome as long as they keep themselves halfway sane and not show up any XJs:D

Just kidding. It's our fault if we get shown up seeing that we have the most trail capable vehicles ever produced (I'm a homer) :)

Hey Terry
What days are you going to be in Moab, Would like to buy you a beer and check out you XJ
I'll be arriving Late Tuesday the 6th, Look for my Xj or find XJ_dude on channel 4. Where staying @ Canyonlands Campround
John

Okie Terry said:
All are welcome as long as they keep themselves halfway sane and not show up any XJs:D

Just kidding. It's our fault if we get shown up seeing that we have the most trail capable vehicles ever produced (I'm a homer) :)

Cruzzin_XJ said:
Hey Terry
What days are you going to be in Moab, Would like to buy you a beer and check out you XJ
I'll be arriving Late Tuesday the 6th, Look for my Xj or find XJ_dude on channel 4. Where staying @ Canyonlands Campround
John
Hey John. I'll be there from Friday the 2nd till Thursday the 8th and we're staying at the Archview Resort and Campground a few miles North of town.You know my celly number so when you get to town give me a call and we'll hook up.

What trails you running? Maybe we can run a couple.

Ok, on Sunday the 4th, we'll meet in the Moab grocery store parking lot at 8:00am.

We will be running the Golden Spike trail.

I need someone who knows this trail all the way through to commit as the trail leader. I've run Poison Spider and Gold Bar Rim but not the Spike section. If nobody can take the lead then I'll havta lead and just go by my trail book and wing it.

Again, post here if you're gonna be there.

Thanks

I just did Golden Spike on Saturday (13th). Awesome trail, but be prepared for the time it takes to run it. At least 8 hours with various stops and one for lunch. The only bummer was that some WUS filled in the Golden Crack with a bunch of stones and rocks. You still flexed up your rig, but with the bottom filled in, it's a piece of cake. You guys have fun there and play safe.
Thanks,
Dan.

Last edited:
TRNDRVR said:
The only bummer was that some WUS filled in the Golden Crack with a bunch of stones and rocks. You still flexed up your rig, but with the bottom filled in, it's a piece of cake. Dan.

So, did you pull the rocks out?

Jes

Jes said:
So, did you pull the rocks out?

Jes
Nope.
It was after 4:00 when we got there, running out of time, and one of our group members was only 2 months old. Said he needed to get back for a diaper change and a nap. Something like that.
But like I said, there was a lot of rocks in there. To properly dispose of them would've taken over a hour. Just didn't have the time.
Dan.

Yeah, I think I am gonna have to pass on that run. Dud the SAME run on the first day of EJS last year and with all of the issues/breaks we were on that trail for 15 hours....you guys have fun and be careful....

Joe

The trail is changable. Doesn't really HAVE to be G. Spike. But I think it SHOULD be a 4 or 4+ trail. Maybe Moab Rim or Behind the Rocks or Cliff Hanger?

Last edited:
Okie Terry said:
The trail is changable. Doesn't really HAVE to be G. Spike. But I think it SHOULD be a 4 or 4+ trail. Maybe Moab Rim or Behind the Rocks or Cliff Hanger?
Pritchett was fun. We did that on Sunday. (14th)
Just a suggestion for you.
As for Golden Spike, we only had 4 rigs with only one problem. Get a group any bigger than that, start having problems, makes for a loooooonnnnng day.
Dan.

TRNDRVR said:
Pritchett was fun. We did that on Sunday. (14th)
Just a suggestion for you.
As for Golden Spike, we only had 4 rigs with only one problem. Get a group any bigger than that, start having problems, makes for a loooooonnnnng day.
Dan.
I just read up on Pritchett Canyon and it looks like a good time. The author said it's one of his favs too. I was gonna run it last year but couldn't squeeze it in. Any second on Pritchett? Any other suggestions?

Back