• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear spring modification question . . .

GoalPoster

NAXJA Forum User
Try and follow me here . . . .

I've got a spare set of stock rear leafs for my 98 XJ. I want to lift my beast by 3 inches.

Now, I've read a ton of stuff that the AALs are crap due to sag. But, I was thinking that if I add a 3" short AAL and a 3" full-length AAL and put it back together, will this prevent sagging?

I got the springs free and I can get the AALs for next to nothing. Plus, once I get the springs apart and cleaned up, I can have them ecoated for nothing through work. I figure that, not including my time (or beer) that I can put together these things for under $100.

Will this give me a robust set of springs or is it just a dumb idea?

Go get a set of Dakota springs, cut the eyes off. remove main leaf from spare xj set and attach to the dakota pack. Badaboom you have 3.5 inches which will not be prone to sagging. Most boneyards will sell you a set for $50. they will love you if you say to just cut them off and not unbolt them! might get a deal. Just another option. FWIW Multiple aals will give you a rather harsh ride.

A 3" AAL added to a 3" AAL won't give you 6", but it also won't give you anywhere close to 3".

Skip the short AAL. Bad juju.

Take the extra XJ spring pack, extract the main leaves, cut the eyes off just where they start to turn up, and add them to the stock springs for reinforcement. This is worth about 1-1/4". Put in the 3" AAL. Put it all together and drive it for a few days with a couple of bags of sand on the back to settle it in. Measure. If it settles in at close to 3" you're good. If it's too high, go back and remove the shortest stock leaf.

Eagle said:
A 3" AAL added to a 3" AAL won't give you 6", but it also won't give you anywhere close to 3".

Skip the short AAL. Bad juju.

Take the extra XJ spring pack, extract the main leaves, cut the eyes off just where they start to turn up, and add them to the stock springs for reinforcement. This is worth about 1-1/4". Put in the 3" AAL. Put it all together and drive it for a few days with a couple of bags of sand on the back to settle it in. Measure. If it settles in at close to 3" you're good. If it's too high, go back and remove the shortest stock leaf.

Thanks . . . . I wasn't going for six inches . . . that's territory for my wife ;)

I'll give your prescription a whirl and somehow even out around three. If it ends up being close to four, that's ok too. I'll just make adjustements up front

:D:D:D

asatxj said:
Go get a set of Dakota springs, cut the eyes off. remove main leaf from spare xj set and attach to the dakota pack. Badaboom you have 3.5 inches which will not be prone to sagging. Most boneyards will sell you a set for $50. they will love you if you say to just cut them off and not unbolt them! might get a deal. Just another option. FWIW Multiple aals will give you a rather harsh ride.

I tried this, got just below three inches :speepin: . It had 96 dakota pack with a 00 XJ main.

I currently run this setup (short and long add a leaf). I also have a 1.5" steel block. It gives me about 5" of lift. The ride is a little harsh, but it seems to flex pretty good on the trail.

Back