• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

differential swaps????

laredo

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if a front and rear diff from a 88 wrangler would fit a 89 cherokee.Any idea what most 88 wrangler 4.2 liter auto usually came with?Would I have to do any mods if I did switch them?Thanks alot!

Why would you ask this question at all, you haven't even done any research as to what you even plan to accomplish.

What gears did they come with....,wow.
If you want someone to tell you how to do it and do all the researching for you come out and say it, I dunno what else to say really. I am of the belief you research all of what you can, and then you ask for help where you get stuck. Researching it will also provide you with a better knowledge of what you need to get as to accomplish your task at hand, whether or not you'd be able to do it yourself, and how much other alternatives would cost.

So it goes.

The differentials themselves probably will be able to be interchanged, but that means grabbing the pinion if it is a different gear ratio(I"m assuming you want to go lower). And then you have to have the preloads setup(not like new bearings being setup though). Then you have to have it shimmed right etc... or you could pay for installation of it. If this donor wrangler has a dana 35 rear, why would you bother putting money into something that is worthless if you are having to regear then you obviously are running a bigger tire than what the 35 can handle.

my two cents.

I was just asking a simple question.I was planning on putting a used dana 35 from the junkyard in my cherokee this week.We own an old wrangler that we don't use anymore.I have an 89 with 30 inch tires on it.I was just looking for a simple answer before I did the research,so I'd appreciate it if you'd keep your lectures for your kids.When I have a mechanical question in a field I don't know much about I turn to you guys.Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the Wrangler 4.2L used the same gearing as the XJs -- 3.07 for the 5-speed, 3.54 for automatics.

When you say you want to swap the "differential," are you talking about the entire axle assembly, or do mean you want to swap out the gears?

First off, I am a kid. 20 years old.

Second off, You explicity asked if you could swap differentials not axles.

Third. If you own a 89 why can't you go out and look at it, and then go look at cherokee. Doing that would tell you that you can't without some welding. YJ = SOA, XJ = SUA.

Sorry for "lecturing" you. Just simply stating the fact, which is ever more apparent, that you should go out and look, especially if you own the two.

Wow, tough crowd around here tonight. But, I will have to agree with Majo on this one. Others will be more willing to help if you did some research on your own. No lecture here... :lecture: :wave1:

YJ= leaf spring front and rear suspension, spring under style both front and rear.

XJ= coil spring/link front, spring over leafs in the rear.

No point in just swapping the gears and carriers of the axles unless you were looking for a gear ratio change. If so, then why just settle for a stock ratio? If you can't do the work yourself and need to pay to have it done, then don't waste your money rebuilding all 4 axles. It would make more sense to leave the YJ alone and just do the work only on your XJ.

Bryan

Back