• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler Recommendations

91xjtim

NAXJA Forum User
Any particular type you recommend? I am not looking for noise at all...just maybe a little performance upgrade. Thanx!!

do a search on here...

we talk about this stuff all the time! ;)

(and then when you come up with some more specific questions about particular exhausts....then post a more specific question)

Maybe I should have abeen a little more specific. I runs maganflows on my stang...and love them...cept I dont think any 6 cylinder exhaust sounds good...sounds like a beehive to me. I read over some of the other posts and they say flowmaster...but I really dont want that drone...course Ive only really heard 40 series...anyone run 50 series?

Thanx!

91xjtim said:
Maybe I should have abeen a little more specific. I runs maganflows on my stang...and love them...cept I dont think any 6 cylinder exhaust sounds good...sounds like a beehive to me. I read over some of the other posts and they say flowmaster...but I really dont want that drone...course Ive only really heard 40 series...anyone run 50 series?

Thanx!

I have a 50 series Flowmaster on my '92 with a hollowed out cat, and it is only a little quieter than the "cherry bomb" glasspack that recently fell off. When it's cold, it has a bit of a bark, but it will mellow a little as it warms. But at about 1600-1800 RPM under load, there are those who find the interior resonance a little much. Wagon type bodies just magnify the problem. I like it though, but then my hearing isn't what it used to be. (Maybe that's why!).

I've heard from a lot of people that the Flowmaster 40 series sounds good on the 4.0L. I don't personally run it though, but I think when I redo my exhaust I'm going that route.

91xjtim said:

Thanx!

I agree with you. It's very difficult to make an I-6 sound good. The only exhaust I've ever heard that sounded good on a Jeep was a Gibson, and that was on a Wrangler. Don't know how their XJ exhaust sounds.

I put on a Dynomax low-restriction stainless steel muffler, which resulted in a 1 to 1 1/2 mpg increase at highway speeds (oops- imperial gallon-closer to 1 mpg for US gallon). The noise level is just a bit over stock, not intrusive- I want to listen to my radio, not my muffler. The sound is good- deeper engine tone- nothing Honda about it. 4xBob

I love my Gibson!!!

I have run Gibson exhaust of all of my Jeeps.
It gives a great power increase and sounds better than anything else I have ever heard on a Jeep.
The can is a little big, but luckily it is pretty tough so the rocks just flatten out the bottom after awhile.
They are designed for towing and other high load applications.
Combine a Gibson with a K&N filter and you are set.
HTH :D

Only slightly louder than stock, I run a dynomax cat-back. SummitRacing usually runs a once-a-year special on these cat-back systems, and I recall spending around $80. Easy bolt on with no fitment problems.

OK, should be a 2.5" offset inlet and a 2.5"centered outlet right? I think the dynomax ultraflow looks good. Any further advice?

no,
Center in and offset out

I have a 50 series flowmaster and I don't think it is very loud at all. I think if doing it again I would go with the 40!

You don't gain any thing with duals either so keep a single pipe unless you just like the look of it.

I have run Flowmaster 40 series on my '90 Laredo for the last 10-12 years. I would recommend them highly.They have good sound ( not too loud, but a good "throaty" note) and I feel, enhance performance. They last pretty well too. Mine lasted about 5-6 years each. I will get another when the current one goes.

XJ Danny
'90 Laredo
202K miles

I have the Flowmaster Deltaflow 50 series, it sounds better than stock, mine is a bit loud especially upon start up and with the drone. Don't get me wrong... I like mine. :viking:

Coop said:
I was sure that the exhaust was 2 1/4" on XJs. :dunno:

it is on the stock xj's. many consider the 2 1/2" exhausts to be upgrades, but after doing some searching, it may be best to stick with the 2 1/4" on cat-backs. some backpressure is good.

i'm currently thinking that the ultimate set up would be a borla header w/downtube (i think the output diameter is 2 1/2" on this?), then a catco (or similar) hi-flow cat, back to the original 2 1/4" flowmaster or equivalent? anyone running this? not sure its worth the $, but if you have money to burn...

Back